Oregon

Garden Home, Oregon.

The current flock includes six birds including three chickens and three ducks.

Their names are:
1. Regular Chicken (she's blind in one eye, and she's the leader);
2. Red Chicken (beautiful bird, scared of her own shadow);
3. Black Chicken (The #2 in command, after Regular Chicken);

And three ducks (all runners):
4. Big Duck (the biggest of the Indian runners);
5. Black Duck (the black duck);
6. Other Duck (not Big Duck or Black Duck).

Regular Chicken has pretty much stopped laying, so now I rely on her leadership and pest-eating qualities. Everybody else still lays regularly (the ducks are prolific layers).
Good flock, and I expect to add some more chickens when the weather warms a bit (no more ducks though, the mess that three make is about all I can handle).

Anybody else in Garden Home?
Had dinner with FIL tonight in Sweet Home, where is Garden Home?

Peepacheep, thanks much for the info. on the feed. I think I have looked into that before and the cost combined with the travel to pick-up won't work for me. I feed some cat food as well and lots of fish/meat scraps frozen during fishing season and hunting season. I think the chickens are getting what they need. Always looking to do the best for them, especially the breeders that are penned up but also trying to keep things as simple as possible. Sometimes to do things right, it just is not simple!!

Sorry if I repeated the info Zanna. I opted for cat food for the same reasons. It looked like good food but between the extra cost of it and the drive it was not practical for me. Yep, doing the right thing is not always the simplest!

Welcome to BYC haleyd. I am SE of Eugene. Warning: the forum can be a little addictive.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom