Oregon

I'm so confused. I just want a blue egg chicken. I've been researching everywhere. And I just looked at the healing ponds website, which looks great. But they spelled Americana with an I. And I read somewhere that means they're not true blue egg layers. Is it just a crap shoot? Sigh. I just thought my daughter would get a kick out of a different color egg.

If you are just looking for a diff color, why not get a EE? The eggs are anywhere from blue to green.

Not always the case...I have one that lays brown eggs... ;)

The only thing I would correct about this post is that true Ameraucanas should only lay blue eggs. ;)

I'll be ******. I never looked it up because well...it's egg color which doesn't matter really, but sure enough APA Standard does say Blue, and I always just assumed mine laid the wrong color back in the day. I was taught wrong and stand corrected.

I went to Coastal yesterday in OC to help my family members pick out some good egg laying chickens. They decided to get some after seeing how much I enjoy mine. We got 3, a SLW, a BO, and a Wulsummer. They didn't have a lot of the breeds that they normally have though, so does anyone know what day they get their shipment in each week of new chicks? I wanted to get them some EE's and an Andalusian, but they didn't have any available. Here are their chicks:
Andalusians are the only breed I could not wait to get rid of. Do they know how flighty and panicky they can be? They also prefer to roost in trees not the coop. Just my experience with them, they may have better luck, hope they do.

Anyone use the automatic chicken door openers? If so how do you like it any problems? I wonder how well the solar one would work in Oregon.

Lorilyn and OR4hmom, so happy to see some people close to me
big_smile.png
:D I'm in CP
Think you may have any chicks you might want to part with in May?
Hi Amberr,

I probably will. I even have some adult birds I would be willing to give away. They are from my color projects and don't fit into my program. They are all D'uccle crosses and have feathered feet. One rooster, a silkie/d'uccle cross, is a lemon with two copies of blue, making him a gold neck. but he has no mottling at this point. I am trying to create lemon/citron mille fluers. They are popluar in Europe but we don't have many here yet and are quite rare. I believe there is only one breeder that has her line up to show standards, but I don't know her name.
I also have some pet quality black mottleds to get your own line going. Just let me know.
Lynn

This is him next to a regular d'uccle. These roos are both about seven months old.

And his coloring next to mille fleur babies. A ton brighter!

Last edited:
All this talk about breeds got me intrigued. One of our chicks we got as a "mystery" chick LOL. My youngest wanted a "yellow" chick and picked her, he named her Applesauce:) Anyone have any ideas on her breed? She is beautiful, and while she was my panicky "freak" chick, she has grown now, at about 10 weeks, into a very calm, confident girl. She has those fluffy cheeks and featherd feet and legs. She looks like her breed is bigger than our Barred Rock and RIR. I attached some pics below and included a couple others of Cinderella and Cecilia just for fun :)

Hi Amberr,

I probably will. I even have some adult birds I would be willing to give away. They are from my color projects and don't fit into my program. They are all D'uccle crosses and have feathered feet. One rooster, a silkie/d'uccle cross, is a lemon with two copies of blue, making him a gold neck. but he has no mottling at this point. I am trying to create lemon/citron mille fluers. They are popluar in Europe but we don't have many here yet and are quite rare. I believe there is only one breeder that has her line up to show standards, but I don't know her name.
I also have some pet quality black mottleds to get your own line going. Just let me know.
Lynn

This is him next to a regular d'uccle. These roos are both about seven months old.

And his coloring next to mille fleur babies. A ton brighter!

Great! I don't care much about breeds just starting our first flock in June after we move to our new property. Just want some layers and some friendly ones the kids can call by name ;)

Back
Top Bottom