Oregon

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I remember as a kid I would swim/play in the freezing creeks during my summer visits. Somehow, I don't think I will be so tolerant of the colder waters. This will be our first time raising chickens for eggs and meat. Trying to learn as much as possible before we get there and dive into it. I think the hardest for me would be processing and eating something that we have raised but I know it will be more healthier than industrial raised eggs and animals. How were some of your first time experience and coming to harmony with raising a food source that is adorable?

Does anyone know of anyone who will be bringing a pair or trio of SQ Seramas to the PNPA show next weekend? I have one chick that I hatched from shipped eggs. There was one more that hatched, but unfortunately, she jumped out of the brooder one day while I was gone and got too cold. It was quite upsetting, and now I have a lone Serama that I can't put with the other chicks because she's too small. I just need some buddies for her when she gets older as Seramas don't do well with other breeds.
Thank you.
I have my seramas free ranging with my other birds. The seramas rule the roost!
Here's my little roo surrounded by the bigger birds. The white silkie is a rooster.

Last edited:
Thank you for the warm welcomes. I remember as a kid I would swim/play in the freezing creeks during my summer visits. Somehow, I don't think I will be so tolerant of the colder waters. This will be our first time raising chickens for eggs and meat. Trying to learn as much as possible before we get there and dive into it. I think the hardest for me would be processing and eating something that we have raised but I know it will be more healthier than industrial raised eggs and animals. How were some of your first time experience and coming to harmony with raising a food source that is adorable?
I remember getting too many roosters, so I started culling them. A neighbor showed me how to kill them, but I'm terrible at the neck wringing thing. The best way was the ax, but it sprays the blood everywhere, so you need to be sure to clean up that blood so you don't attract predators. Then I proceeded to pluck them. After I wasted my time killing and plucking about four roosters, I realized that since they free-range, they don't keep weight on like a caged bird. They were useless for human consumption, except for maybe a soup. (These were banties) I'm sure a larger bird, or a meat bird would provide much more meat for the work.
It's very hard to do, and it's not pleasant, but at least I know my birds are safer than the grocery store.
If the animal is too cute with a personality, then I never cull them. Character breeds character, which is what I want in my banties. However, a mean bird will easily get the ex...

1 chicken fan PLEASE don't take this that I am chewing on you or making a scene of you. Sorry I am just using your ALMOST disaster as another example. I am glad all turned out well for you.

PLEASE peeps DO NOT use zip ties, baling twine, string or other such that may melt. PLEASE ONLY use bare wire or small chain that is made for hanging lights.
No you are right these things are sold at the feed stores with the zip ties, it is one of those chick brooders with the plastic panels. I am glad however I did not learn the hard way, it being on concrete was my saving grace. And no I will gladly be the example if it saves someones house or barn :)

Quote:
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
Thanks for understanding AND for helping try to save others. I just can't express the shock when Becky called me and said their barn burned and then even worse was the sight when I drove over there to start the salvage work.

Back
Top Bottom