Oregon

OOO! I will be able to make it to the Fall Swamp meet as well in Corvallis. How exciting. I am hoping that this increases our chances to find some Black Orpingtons. Thank you TurtlePowerTrav! *Does the Happy Dance*
Don't forget there are two types of Orpington. If you're at all interested in the Standard or showing you'll want to avoid the so-called "English" Orpington. I say so-called because just to confuse us all both types are simply named Orpington, but they are drastically different standards here and across the pond, and recently people here in the States have started breeding the "English" Orps in addition the the normal ones. Edit: Just re-read that and I'm not saying either is a bad bird just that they are different so make sure to specify when searching and buying.

Last edited:
Don't forget there are two types of Orpington. If you're at all interested in the Standard or showing you'll want to avoid the so-called "English" Orpington. I say so-called because just to confuse us all both types are simply named Orpington, but they are drastically different standards here and across the pond, and recently people here in the States have started breeding the "English" Orps in addition the the normal ones.

Edit: Just re-read that and I'm not saying either is a bad bird just that they are different so make sure to specify when searching and buying.
Yeah, they do look like 2 different breeds of birds. I am going to look for show stock for my little one to use in 4-H as well as dual purposes. I don't know what is more appealing for exhibition as well as being to standard?

Yeah, they do look like 2 different breeds of birds. I am going to look for show stock for my little one to use in 4-H as well as dual purposes. I don't know what is more appealing for exhibition as well as being to standard? 

The "regular" Orpington is the one I'd advise for 4-H use. Since at shows it would be compared to the APA Standard. I think both are similar for dual purpose use but I've only had the "regular" APA Orpingtons.

Hey guys! I'm just joining this site, but I live around Harrisburg (about 20 minutes north of Eugene), since we're outside of city limits, we can have as many girls or boys as we want, so we have quite a collection going, 115 chickens, and 6 little ducklings which we just got. But we say that we're done buying now, but we'll see. Oh, we're also trying to incubate our very first batch of chicks.

Hey guys! I'm just joining this site, but I live around Harrisburg (about 20 minutes north of Eugene), since we're outside of city limits, we can have as many girls or boys as we want, so we have quite a collection going, 115 chickens, and 6 little ducklings which we just got. But we say that we're done buying now, but we'll see. Oh, we're also trying to incubate our very first batch of chicks.

Wow, that's quite the collection! What do you do with so many? Sell, show?
I am just outside Springfield!

Quote:
You can show the "English" Orps, you just have to list them as "English". They won't win a "Champion" but can win BV and BB. "English" Orps are bred to have more back side fluff and usually have broader bodies. I had both, but had to re-home my English Orp because he was too rough on my 6 girls and needed to be in a larger flock.

Back
Top Bottom