Oregon

Our girls weren't happy with the 'rain delay' this morning. We held them in an extra hour until the wind & rain subsided to normal levels. A neighbor's tree snapped and fell in a period of horizontal rain. Hello November!

Then, goofy me, I overfilled their water bucket! Water, water everywhere

Hello fellow Oregonians! Jumping into this thread only 700 pages late ;) Located in Banks, OR on about 10 acres with a small backyard flock.

I am interested in finding quality breeders in Oregon and even Washington - not hatcheries. but smaller project farms who pay great detail to genetics, breed standards, health, etc. Any recommendations?

Since we're in the same climate, are your hens moulting now? Mine are 9 months old, and I expected them not to moult this year due to their age. Judging by the feathers I found in the coop today, my EE girl had other plans!

We are near Molalla and raise show/breeder quality Jersey Giants and Cornish.
Ours are just finishing a pretty hard molt.

We are near Molalla and raise show/breeder quality Jersey Giants and Cornish.
Ours are just finishing a pretty hard molt.

Hello! Nice to meet you :) I'm going to save your info away for later, we may be interested in your Cornish next year.. this year we did 60 cornishX for the first time, but they were nowhere near the quality of your birds.

Since we're in the same climate, are your hens moulting now? Mine are 9 months old, and I expected them not to moult this year due to their age. Judging by the feathers I found in the coop today, my EE girl had other plans!
I think so? That probably sounds silly but with my flock it wasn't obvious this year. This summer I only really noticed it because of all the extra loose feathers blowing around but the birds didn't look any different (except when they lost their tail feathers and ran around rumpless for a while). Our GLW seems to be in molt right now. Coincidentally she's also one of the broodies.

I think so? That probably sounds silly but with my flock it wasn't obvious this year. This summer I only really noticed it because of all the extra loose feathers blowing around but the birds didn't look any different (except when they lost their tail feathers and ran around rumpless for a while). Our GLW seems to be in molt right now. Coincidentally she's also one of the broodies.

How interesting! I was hoping that they would lay all winter, but I didn't provide them a light because I thought that seemed too forceful? They're already hatchery-bred layers, I don't see the need to push them any harder. I'm working on transitioning out all hatchery stock and starting fresh next year.

My EE is only 9 months old, and she also has a tendency to go broody.. initially I thought that's what was going on, but she's moved past losing tummy down feathers and is now losing even her large beautiful tail feathers. I really did not expect it until at least a year old, Fall '14, by which time they will all be soup anyway! She is the only EE, and the only one moulting.

Back
Top Bottom