Oregon

I did not even know they had color differences. The happy thing is that I found the contact info for the farmer who had the one the hubby fell in love with, and he's willing to part with that very same bird! So I get to sneak away this week and go pick him up. I'll let you know, though, if for some reason it doesn't work out. Thanks!

I'm looking to expand my flock with a few different breeds of dual purpose birds, I would like to add a few RIR's, Buff Orpingtons and Wyandotte...Looking for some fertile eggs to incubate. Willing to pay but not what they are asking by the breeders and don't want to risk shipping.
smile.png

I'm looking to expand my flock with a few different breeds of dual purpose birds, I would like to add a few RIR's, Buff Orpingtons and Wyandotte...Looking for some fertile eggs to incubate. Willing to pay but not what they are asking by the breeders and don't want to risk shipping.
smile.png
I currently have fertile German New Hampshire eggs. They are a beautiful, calm old time heritage breed and really good layers. PM me for more info. I have an add on Cragslist in the Salem Farm and garden section with pictures of some of my breeders.

Anyone else in Central Oregon? I'm in Bend. :)

Hoping to move out to some property next year, and would like to start raising chickens for meat and eggs. I'd like decent layers, I don't need super fast growing or giant chickens. Just something to supplement our diet (and our dogs') with free range, naturally raised meat. I'd also like something fairly broody since I want to hatch chicks naturally.

From what I can tell, some breeds that might work would be Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks. Thoughts from other CO people?

what is MG?

MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum) is a chronic respiratory infection. It sounds a LOT like the same bacterial agent as the mycoplasma that commonly infects pet rats. I have to put one done soon from it. :( it's a slow painful death that is held off by the host organism's own immune system or antibiotics. Incurable. In rats, most of the population has it, (thanks crappy humans and your crappy thoughtless breeding programs!) and the rats with stronger immune systems will be carriers, but asymptomatic usually. Not something you want a healthy flock infected with, though I'm not sure if it is or isn't curable in chickens. My guess from the rats version is "no". (I know it won't be exactly the same between each species variation, so the rats might to be the prime example of how it affects chickens.)

Last edited:
Anyone else in Central Oregon? I'm in Bend. :)

Hoping to move out to some property next year, and would like to start raising chickens for meat and eggs. I'd like decent layers, I don't need super fast growing or giant chickens. Just something to supplement our diet (and our dogs') with free range, naturally raised meat. I'd also like something fairly broody since I want to hatch chicks naturally.

From what I can tell, some breeds that might work would be Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks. Thoughts from other CO people?
Look into Dominiques. I believe there is a breeder in Redmond, user name Walltenters, here on BYC. Her name is Rhonda and might be a good contact for you. She also has a breeding partner over here on this side of the mountains :) They do a great job with their birds and are very knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom