Oregon

How exciting. You are braver than me. How are you holding up?

Lol
Oooohhhh dear. I am not brave. Not at all. Bundle of nerves. My boyfriend's like "you need sleep" and of course I'm sitting here like "Nope. Can't. Temp might fluctuate .5 -1.0 degrees. " :D

The incubator isn't as stable as I'd like. The humidity drops fast, and the temperature and humidity are closely related. I think one of the vent holes is in a bad spot. We ended up turning the incubator on its side because my boyfriend put a heat lamp RIGHT in the middle of the incubator ceiling and it made temperature issues. So I just took the whole box and turned it on its side. Now the vent hole is right in the middle of the ceiling and the fan on the side, so the air is blowing in, hitting the now sideways lightbulb and exiting straight up. Yeah...that'll make it all better. :lol:

For some reason too, wet sponges are making very little difference in the humidity of my incubator. So I'm just going to indulge my insomnia and watch it all. I have it in my small walk-in closet so the environment around the incubator is as stable/contained as possible.

On a good note the lady I got these from in WA was super nice. Like I mentioned, 6 Serama bantams and then as a bonus two houdans and one silkie egg that might be a silkie frizzle combo.

*sips coffee* my boyfriend is very good at math and physics, but next time I'm building the incubator. ;)

This will either teach me to be a more flexible person, or just be the end of me. Lol

Last edited:
(I will be posting this in another forum as well in order to get more answers)
HELP!!!
I have 5 girls. 3 EE's (6mo), 1 Red Star (8mo), 1 BR (6mo). We hadn't gotten any eggs from our Red Star (our best layer) for a couple days. No big deal. I just figured she was taking a break. Yesterday I was excited to find one. But was disappointed to see that it had been kicked out of the nesting box, and had a crack. This morning I went out to gather eggs. My EE's had layed in the nesting box. My BR had layed clear across the coop in a corner. And still no Red Star...until something caught my eye...a tiny piece of shell. The only part left of my Red Stars egg :(
Apparently I have an egg eater! Here's what I'm thinking... The EE's are dominating the nesting box. And kicking out everyone else.
What can I do??? I can't let them keep eating her eggs. She was in the top of the pecking order. But obviously that's changed.

Update: the egg eating has stopped. I'm thinking now that it just happened because the girls were fighting over nesting space, and one got broke so they ate it. (I hope).
I tried to alleviate the nesting issue by adding two cardboard boxes that I cut the ends out of, and filled with bedding. Apparently the didn't like the boxes, and immediately kicked all the bedding out. Then started laying in the corner next to them...a very inconvenient spot to reach with out climbing into the coop. This is frustrating since our girls lay at different times of the day, and we've been trying to keep them gathered so nothing gets broke and eaten. Anyway...I guess I'm going to have to climb in there today and remove the boxes. Then figure something else out...oh and I should probably put the fake eggs back in there to show them where to lay...sigh.

Hiya!
Sooo what are you doing with chickens right now? Setting anything up now? Getting ready to? Have a flock already?

Inquiring minds wish to know! :lol:

Thanks guys! I love knowing about poultry people in my area. I have had my flock for about a month. 14 chickens and counting! And lorilyn farms where did you get your d'uccles?

My original, very heavy feathered birds came from Ideal. That was four years ago. Since then, I haven't received such good quality. I then ordered from Meyers and was disappointed as well. When I'm done with my color experiments, I hope to get some great quality birds. I have a wonderful rooster right now, but my hens need improving. I do have a chocolate mottled D'uccle that is my pride and joy, but she needs more foot feathering.

My original, very heavy feathered birds came from Ideal. That was four years ago. Since then, I haven't received such good quality. I then ordered from Meyers and was disappointed as well. When I'm done with my color experiments, I hope to get some great quality birds. I have a wonderful rooster right now, but my hens need improving. I do have a chocolate mottled D'uccle that is my pride and joy, but she needs more foot feathering.

Very pretty birds.

My chickens are not happy with mother nature & all this snow ....
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom