Oregon

Another milestone in this poultry adventure. We discovered our first clutch of rogue freedom ranger chicks today. Under the lilac bushes outside the chicken run. This little guy was on his back apart from the others, and LOOKING up at me. I tried to put him over with the others, and Broody tried to throttle me. Little guy isn't up on his feet yet, so I brought him inside. In this photo he is a little damp from being in my bra while I set up a little brooder area for him.

If he makes it and starts to run around, I'll try to reunite him with the others. He'll need speedy legs if he's going to keep up.

Here is some of the indoor gang saying hello.

I'm isolating the sick ones today and using a a red heat lamp for them. All of them about 4 weeks old and going through a molt.
To be honest, they could have gotten chilled a bit since someone turned off the heat lamp and then didn't turn it back on during the night.
I'll go locate the antibiotic right away. Thank you both for the suggestion.
On a separate but related note anyone have recommendations on supplies that are better priced that Homedepot. Need lumber and all that jazz but am trying to beat the prices. I'm around the Portland metro area so hopefully there is something somewhere for a source.

I have heard that Re-Store is pretty cool, but have not been there yet. they have used furniture and building materials! I saw a cool re-purposed dresser into brooder that gave me all kinds of ideas ;)

I have heard that Re-Store is pretty cool, but have not been there yet. they have used furniture and building materials! I saw a cool re-purposed dresser into brooder that gave me all kinds of ideas ;)

I've been to the Re-Store in Beaverton, and they do have some great stuff there. Besides the furniture, there were things I thought could be useful for coop or run projects.

chain link fencing & posts

Lots of doors ... including sets of double doors or screen doors I would have loved to use in a coop project.

Tubs & showers & all kinds of sinks

Nails & screws & and all kinds of hardware

Cabinets & countertops

Electrical stuff I didn't understand

All kinds of flooring ...

Some of their stuff is brand new, some of it reclaimed.

I have stopped by there, the Re-Store. I didnt see much for framing and lumber replacements, but im already interested in their other stuff. Flooring, tiles, etc. They did have some cool stuff.
I should just pop over there today and if they got some new stuff in. There's some remodeling and construction going on in my area. Maybe....they would be willing to part with some neat scraps? :D
I have been perusing craigslist to see if I can find a premade one, but the prices seem rather scary sometimes.

Geese ripping up screens? Why are they...like that?! lol

Last edited:
I have stopped by there, the Re-Store. I didnt see much for framing and lumber replacements, but im already interested in their other stuff. Flooring, tiles, etc. They did have some cool stuff.
I should just pop over there today and if they got some new stuff in. There's some remodeling and construction going on in my area. Maybe....they would be willing to part with some neat scraps? :D
I have been perusing craigslist to see if I can find a premade one, but the prices seem rather scary sometimes.

Geese ripping up screens? Why are they...like that?! lol

A BYC friend of mine built a "simple" secure chicken run that I think would work GREAT for a coop in our area (presuming you're on the milder side of the mountains). She took cattle panels, secured chicken wire and hardware cloth to it, then bent it into an arch by pounding metal fence post stakes into the ground on both sides. They put a human-sized door at one end. That, plus a tarp or greenhouse plastic over the top, some deep litter and you'd be in business with a coop in no time. The only problem to solve would be how to "secure" where the coop and ground meet, and by putting down a "skirt" of chicken wire or hardware cloth, with maybe some pavers laid on top, you'd be pretty secure. If you wanted to get "fancier," you could trench around it and bury your hardware cloth a foot or so below ground.

I have a greenhouse frame coop that works great in my area. I trenched around the bottom, put in some drain pipe, extended the hardware cloth, and then back filled it with river rock ... that helps when we get a lot of rain.

Here is a link to some photos of her run so you can see how simple and genius it is!

Quote:

I can imagine! I would cover the screening with hardware cloth. But not having to build a door from scratch is a win, IMO.
What a GREAT idea!!
ya.gif
Your speaking of doors from re-store gave ME an idea. Why couldn't I cut out the inside of a door and then put hardware cloth on it to use AS a screen door to my run??? I'm absolutely no good at making things from scratch...do you think that would work?

A BYC friend of mine built a "simple" secure chicken run that I think would work GREAT for a coop in our area (presuming you're on the milder side of the mountains). She took cattle panels, secured chicken wire and hardware cloth to it, then bent it into an arch by pounding metal fence post stakes into the ground on both sides. They put a human-sized door at one end. That, plus a tarp or greenhouse plastic over the top, some deep litter and you'd be in business with a coop in no time. The only problem to solve would be how to "secure" where the coop and ground meet, and by putting down a "skirt" of chicken wire or hardware cloth, with maybe some pavers laid on top, you'd be pretty secure. If you wanted to get "fancier," you could trench around it and bury your hardware cloth a foot or so below ground.

I have a greenhouse frame coop that works great in my area. I trenched around the bottom, put in some drain pipe, extended the hardware cloth, and then back filled it with river rock ... that helps when we get a lot of rain.

Here is a link to some photos of her run so you can see how simple and genius it is!

I love this! so awesome. I am feeling inspired ! see you all at Re-Store! LOL

Back
Top Bottom