Oregon

This little one died the night before last. I leave for work a couple hours before it gets dark, so I have to trust the babies to go in with the older chickens. They've been doing well, but that night this one and five other babies were outside when I got home. It had been raining all evening, but they have plenty of places to get out of the rain. This one was by itself, when not five feet away the group of five was huddled together. I don't understand why this one didn't go over to them to keep warm. It had no injuries at all, and wasn't really stiff yet, so I probably could have saved it if I had gotten home a little bit earlier...

I'm so sorry.

For sale $30 Americana/ Silkie Rooster. He is in need of a good home, semi quiet and docile . We currently have two and he is the low man on the pole. Please message me if you are in the Sherwood/ Tigard Oregon area. Thanks

CORS in Bend is getting chicks in on the 21st. RIR, BR, BLRW, and I think he said ducklings as well. They said I can get a couple more Saipan Jungle Fowl with the rest of the chicks. I wanted one to replace the one that died, but of course one wouldn't do well by itself, so I'm getting two.

Edit: I believe they also said they're getting Cornish X and either Ameraucana or Araucana as well (I think he said Ameraucana, but the hatchery they get them from only has Araucana listed). Probably just EE anyway.

Last edited:
Here's a similar idea for you guys :)

Zanna, Dad and I have been debating how we'd like to build hoop coops ... we'll need one for the cockerels, and I'd like one for the ducks, and I think one-panel versions would make great breeding enclosures. And so on.

He really likes your hoop coops. He loves the idea of using the pipe -- he thinks it would "skid" pretty well if we ever wanted to move one, it wouldn't rot, etc. So I have some technical questions.

Do you know what size/thickness of pipe you guys used? It is a nice, sturdy size.

How do you attach the wire to the pipe?

Do you have any other tips/tricks for using pipe in this way?

Zanna, Dad and I have been debating how we'd like to build hoop coops ... we'll need one for the cockerels, and I'd like one for the ducks, and I think one-panel versions would make great breeding enclosures. And so on.

He really likes your hoop coops. He loves the idea of using the pipe -- he thinks it would "skid" pretty well if we ever wanted to move one, it wouldn't rot, etc. So I have some technical questions.

Do you know what size/thickness of pipe you guys used? It is a nice, sturdy size.

How do you attach the wire to the pipe?

Do you have any other tips/tricks for using pipe in this way?

It is either 3 or 4 inch pipe and it does skid very easily. This size coop (3 cattle panels) I can slide sideways from inside by myself. Holes were drilled in the pipe to insert wire ends and we zip tied it all down. You and your dad are welcome to come out anytime and take a closer look.

It is either 3 or 4 inch pipe and it does skid very easily. This size coop (3 cattle panels) I can slide sideways from inside by myself. Holes were drilled in the pipe to insert wire ends and we zip tied it all down. You and your dad are welcome to come out anytime and take a closer look.
Thanks for the detail photo!!! It explains a lot Zip ties are magic. Dad was thinking of using those ratcheted metal plumbing straps, but those aren't as cheap. I'm still trying to talk him into the automatic doors like you've got!

[/IMG]

Here is a pic of the space between the fence and the coop/run. The problem I think it's the nose when I was building. The coop is now finished, so the nose from that should be over;)

Any chance of some trellises and plants to reduce noise and camouflage the coop?

just transplanted a dappled willow to our chicken garden. not sure if plant will make it through the chicken gobble fest..or my hasty transplanting... but they enjoy it now.

Back
Top Bottom