Oregon

A-HA!!
Good grief! I didn't think a lot of 'sugar' was good for chickens...no wonder she's smelling that sicky sweet smell...aaaack!!
barnie.gif

I think they use it as a binding agent. It is the last ingredient, so there can't be much of it. Molasses is a common feed ingredient, and in poultry it can be used in higher doses to help "purge" their systems ... in smaller doses it binds the feed and it has a lot of minerals and such. The birds do like it.

I agree, I don't think chickens "need" a lot of sugar.

what are their fees? I am also looking for the cheapest option :)

sorry to hear about your bird/s. your other option is to perform a necropsy yourself. if you process your own poultry for meat, it would give you an idea of what looks "normal" in there.

you may also be able to find a how-to guide online (I swear there is one on BYC but I cant find it) of how to take out each organ for inspection, with photos. I understand if you don't want to do it. just throwing it out there in case it's helpful :)
The WSU lab in Puyallup charges a $10 submission fee, an $11.60 necropsy fee, and $4 disposal. Total = $25.60
Lynn, the assistant at the Avian Lab, (who was very helpful and knowledgeable) said if the results of the necropsy were inconclusive, they would contact me to see if I wanted to have the histo path done for $18.90.

I seriously considered doing the necrospy myself, as I DID see the how-to guide you're referring to - but I've never processed a bird, and my mother, who is a nurse, assured me I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. Haven't had the proper training, you know.
duc.gif

Please keep us up-to-date when you get the results...we are all curious on this terrible loss!

I received the email from the Avian Lab that I submitted Lucy to. Here's a copy of the report:

The carcass of a 12-week-old, female, Lavender Ameraucana chicken (ID: Lucy) was submitted for
laboratory evaluation.
The most striking lesion is the replacement of the normal anatomy of the ovary with a white-pinkish
nodular mass. Also the bursa of Fabricius appears enlarged.
There are no significant changes in the nervous system or other organs, including respiratory tract,
digestive tract, liver, renal system, musculoskeletal system, and special senses.
No other significant gross findings are noted in this bird

GROSS DIAGNOSES:
1. Ovarian mass
2. Enlarged bursa of Fabricius

COMMENTS: Based on the history and gross findings, I think Lucy has lymphoma. The most common
type of lymphoma in immature poultry is Marek’s disease. However, unless the tissues are examined
under the microscope I cannot say with certainty.

I'm going to have them go ahead with the histology to see if Marek's can be confirmed, but I have to say, I'm confused...Marek's is a lymphoma??? How is it contagious then? And what the heck is the "bursa of Fabricus"??

Off to Google......

Thanks for posting your lab results. I think you are doing the right thing with having them go ahead with further tests to confirm Marek's....I know I would. And yes, I, too, am confused with them saying Marek's is a "lymphoma" ??? Weird! Keep us posted, appreciate it!
caf.gif

I just spent the last 20 minutes or so viewing your page Meet My Girls ...what a treat! You have an obvious flair for writing and your pictures are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for a great way to spend my early morning cuppa ... loved it!
caf.gif

Last edited:
I received the email from the Avian Lab that I submitted Lucy to. Here's a copy of the report:

The carcass of a 12-week-old, female, Lavender Ameraucana chicken (ID: Lucy) was submitted for
laboratory evaluation.
The most striking lesion is the replacement of the normal anatomy of the ovary with a white-pinkish
nodular mass. Also the bursa of Fabricius appears enlarged.
There are no significant changes in the nervous system or other organs, including respiratory tract,
digestive tract, liver, renal system, musculoskeletal system, and special senses.
No other significant gross findings are noted in this bird

GROSS DIAGNOSES:
1. Ovarian mass
2. Enlarged bursa of Fabricius

COMMENTS: Based on the history and gross findings, I think Lucy has lymphoma. The most common
type of lymphoma in immature poultry is Marek’s disease. However, unless the tissues are examined
under the microscope I cannot say with certainty.

I'm going to have them go ahead with the histology to see if Marek's can be confirmed, but I have to say, I'm confused...Marek's is a lymphoma??? How is it contagious then? And what the heck is the "bursa of Fabricus"??

Off to Google......

Ummmmmm ... yeah! Good questions! Please let us know!

I am VERY sorry this is happening to you, but it is also fascinating! There seems to be no end of stuff to know about chickens.
pop.gif

I buy Scratch and Peck feed, made in WA, for my flock. It's spendy, but I'm starting to ferment it and it goes a lot longer that way. I usually buy at Portland Homestead Supply.

I'm finally in a rental house! (I've been asking y'all for help finding a rental for a couple of months.) I've got a lovely old farmhouse on the outskirts of Oregon City with four acres and a pond. I've restarted my flock with a pair of Lavender Orps and Muscovey ducks are calling my name, so I'll soon have a couple of them to play in the water. I'm so happy to be settled again.

Happy long weekend, everyone!

Edit: This was in response to someone asking what feed we use. Sorry I didn't quote the OP.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom