Oregon

A while back I think I posted photos of some Freedom Mutt chicks that hatched here (a surprise clutch of chicks we discovered outside the poultry run this spring which had been brooded under a bush in the yard). One of those chicks was an absolutely adorable half black/half white bird we named Penguin.

Here are two photos of penguin as a chick ...

Penguin is the one with the big white face looking at the hen.

And here is a side view of Penguin as a chick (the B&W ball at the center top).

Here is Penguin today. She is a pullet, and is smaller than the rest of her hatchmates, with long legs.

And here is a detail shot of her rump and the coloration of her back feathers.

It has been fun to watch these chicks develop, though they were so independent I couldn't get close enough for many photos. I was lucky to catch Penguin the other day.

I keep a few Muscovy ducks with my chickens...

I have 11 ducklings one week old to rehome asking a small fee...

Dad is a lavender, babies will carry this recessive gene for breeding..

We are out near Astoria Oregon

Please Pm me if interested. Thanks, K

Everyone gets along...they are nice birds!

I have 3 hens who were 2 in April and 3 hens who are almost 1 and I am yet to see any of them molt. Is this something that can be missed? I am outside with them almost every day.

Yes...you can miss a light molt....every chicken is different...i had one drop almost all her feathers at once...that was hard to miss :)

ello! i want to move to oregon eventually.... what kinds of predators are up there that can kill anything from a rabbit in a hutch to a horse.....
Well, that kinda depends on just 'where' in Oregon you are planning on moving to. Oregon has an abundance of wildlife, 50% of which are predators. Here where I live in Central Oregon we have everything from raccoons, weasels, fox (occasionally), lots of coyotes, and cougar.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Well, that kinda depends on just 'where' in Oregon you are planning on moving to. Oregon has an abundance of wildlife, 50% of which are predators. Here where I live in Central Oregon we have everything from raccoons, weasels, fox (occasionally), lots of coyotes, and cougar.
hide.gif
O_O i honestly havent figured that out yet x3 LOL time to research!! and yikes... i dont know if i could ive with outdoor cats and cougars >.< i would keep them in but when i do that they get bored and attack me -_-

O_O i honestly havent figured that out yet x3 LOL time to research!! and yikes... i dont know if i could ive with outdoor cats and cougars >.< i would keep them in but when i do that they get bored and attack me -_-
Most people in Oregon build a coop AND run attached to the coop....and we build 'em strong! 1/2" hardware cloth all the way!

Back
Top Bottom