Oregon

Has there been problems with livestock in Cornelius? Did the current zoning, noise and nuisance ordinances cover the problems? Or did they have to "let it go"?

If there have been problems, the state version of a Freedom of Information Act request will get you the numbers and reports. You do have to be specific in your request but when the drafted ordinance mentions problems in the past it would be nice to know what those problems were, how they were resolved then and how the draft ordinance would change things. You will probably have to make the same request to each department, and both city and county. It's funny how sometimes people can be neighbors yet one be city, the other county- and the city and county will have different ideas about what is or isn't a problem.

Find ordinances in other cities of similar sizes and ask about their problems, if any. Get the PDX ordinance and their pluses/minuses.

Go over Cornelius' current nuisance and zoning (structure? set back?) rules as well as current animal control laws. Really most problems will fall under nuisance and zoning sections of your city code. Why add more codes if the current ones will do?

There are rare circumstances when a government agency can deny a FOIA type request- but they are rare. And they do have a time limit to respond.

Hey fellow Oregonians I'm a new chicken owner in Portland. My girls are just now 7 months old and it was my understanding that they won't lay until the days get longer and warmer (spring) but two of the girls have been really loud and acting a little weird, one even left the flock and was screaming at me on the back porch. Should I be looking for eggs now in December???

Hi there!!! Located just south of Roseburg and in desperate need of re-homing 5 roosters!!! They are outbumbering my 2 hens. I have a barred rock cross, teal accents, gorgeous, a black/teal cross, a black/orange/teal cross, a beautiful Easter egger (seriously, he's the sweetest rooster ever), and a beautiful red/cream sizzle! Free to any good home, the boys need separated!

My chickens have found a great new home! Woot!

Good Morning! Is anyone interested in owning a beautiful pair of English Lavender Orpingtons? I am having to rehome them due to my health. I'm moving to a much smaller place and the goats, horse and chickens all have to go, sadly. The rooster and hen are approximatly 8 months old and the roo is gorgeous. The hen isn't laying yet, but she will. They were bred at Autumn Farm Orpingtons in Washington. These pictures were taken in the summer and they are even more beautiful now. The rooster is really stunning. Free to excellent home. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello, OREGON!

I am your friendly neighbor in Vancouver, WA and I have a question for you!

Where ON EARTH can I find some fertilized chicken eggs at the grocery store????

Yes, they actually sell them at some grocery chains (like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc).

I'm trying to cheaply perfect my incubation technique and think it would be a fun experiment...

...but I can't find any ANYWHERE! Even some cheap, local barnyard mixes would be fine.

Have any of you managed to find them at the store???

This is where I have looked:

Trader Joe's, Portland OR
Trader Joe's, Vancouver WA
Whole Foods, Vancouver WA
Natural Grocer, Vancouver WA
Fred Meyer, Vancouver WA

I would be THRILLED if any of you have seen them!

Hello, OREGON!

I am your friendly neighbor in Vancouver, WA and I have a question for you!

Where ON EARTH can I find some fertilized chicken eggs at the grocery store????

Yes, they actually sell them at some grocery chains (like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc).

I'm trying to cheaply perfect my incubation technique and think it would be a fun experiment...

...but I can't find any ANYWHERE! Even some cheap, local barnyard mixes would be fine.

Have any of you managed to find them at the store???

This is where I have looked:

Trader Joe's, Portland OR
Trader Joe's, Vancouver WA
Whole Foods, Vancouver WA
Natural Grocer, Vancouver WA
Fred Meyer, Vancouver WA

I would be THRILLED if any of you have seen them!

I have some fertile eggs in Portland, and would love to see them hatched out, my only concern would be ensuring they hatch or given a good chance to, because id hate to see any of the chickens not make it from an incubation experiment gone wrong. What kind of incubation did you have in mind?

Any eggs I have will be phoenix crosses, as I only have one roo, but he mates with all my girls. So could be a cross of any of the breeds below in my sig.

I have some fertile eggs in Portland, and would love to see them hatched out, my only concern would be ensuring they hatch or given a good chance to, because id hate to see any of the chickens not make it from an incubation experiment gone wrong. What kind of incubation did you have in mind?

Any eggs I have will be phoenix crosses, as I only have one roo, but he mates with all my girls. So could be a cross of any of the breeds below in my sig.

Oh, when I said "experiment" I meant more in the sense of seeing if grocery store eggs could actually hatch.

As far as my own incubation technique? I candle on the first day to check air cells. Then, 7th and 18th date.
Eggs are incubated in a Janoel 48 with an automatic egg turner.
Humidity is kept at 30% through-ought incubation.
Humidity is increased to 60-65% at lockdown.
Eggs that have weird looking air cells get put into trimmed-down egg cartons.
Otherwise, they get put into lockdown on their sides.

I really just want some practice, and would like to see if those fertilized grocery store eggs can actually hatch!

But I would love a chance to incubate some eggs for someone/friends/family/etc.

Back
Top Bottom