Oregon

@Corydg
Hybrid vigor is really a good thing...I like my barnyard mixes.

But don't be too afraid of Silkies...while I have only owned 2 in my chicken raising lifetime, as I focus on layer breeds, I have never had an issue with my Silkies. They do need to be able to stay out of the rain, but I don't pamper them. They have a partially covered run, and normal hutch to get into, but they often stand out in the rain foraging...and have done just fine. My first Silkie I didn't know better and let her run with the flock. While she became a bit of a mud ball, she did just fine.

I LOVE how they are such awesome broodies...they are how I get my next generation!

However, they ARE also hawk bait...Just the right size, so I have learned to keep my banties and babies in a hawk netted run/coop. I have friends with chickens in Battle Ground area, and they struggle with hawks like I do here in Beaverton....so be forewarned.

Frizzle means "frizzy feathers," and just about any breed can frizzle, although frequently it is Cochin.

A Sizzle is a frizzled Silkie, so the breeder was upfront with you....EDITED TO ADD: more correctly stated, a Sizzle is a frizzled Silkie/Cochin mix with a particular frizzle look to regular feathers, where a frizzled Silkie is a frizzle look to Silkie feathers.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/101486/sizzle-frizzle-and-frazzle

LofMc

Last edited:
Update. Texted the breeder and she said it is a sizzle hen that laid these. She is 1/2 silkie 1/2 bantam cochin and the rooster is bantam cochin. She was really cool about it and told me before the hen was a sizzle but I just thought that meant she had the special feathers and any breed could be sizzle and this breed was Cochin only. I'm totally fine with it all. I am finding Silkies intriguing and adorable but quite genetically weak with so many fragilities that make them "heartbreakers" as one breeder said to me.. I'm all about hybrid vigor. I'm really aiming for lap chickens more than anything but think I'll have some fun with silkie serama and silkie cochin mixes.
Only1bgirl, grey to the barred...could be interesting. The cuckoos are awesome looking.
All of you have such great comments. Is the lighter one Crele? So thankful to have this forum!

Love the barring in them! Just adorable.

That's great you found out the mystery of the crest! If you're looking for lap chickens a Silkie would be it! They're easily trained especially as chicks and enjoy being held. Our first two Silkies were constantly held as chicks by the kids and me, now they're adults they still enjoy being picked up, come when called and my white hen follows me around like a dog. There are cuckoo silkie eggs periodically available, your barred bird would be a great candidate to breed back to Silkie! The cuckoo Silkie is kind of a novelty now, not that many out there. @Corydg They could be hens the more I look at them especially the one in the bottom picture.

Last edited:
Hi all! I'm from way up North in Washington state, but a friend of mine who lives in Crescent City is considering getting chickens. Does anyone know of any breeders in that area I could send her to? We could mail-order hatchery, but we were hoping to keep it local if we can.

Hi all! I'm from way up North in Washington state, but a friend of mine who lives in Crescent City is considering getting chickens. Does anyone know of any breeders in that area I could send her to? We could mail-order hatchery, but we were hoping to keep it local if we can.
I think there is a Northern California thread, maybe check there too. Does she want chicks or started birds and which breeds?

That's great you found out the mystery of the crest! If you're looking for lap chickens a Silkie would be it! They're easily trained especially as chicks and enjoy being held. Our first two Silkies were constantly held as chicks by the kids and me, now they're adults they still enjoy being picked up, come when called and my white hen follows me around like a dog. There are cuckoo silkie eggs periodically available, your barred bird would be a great candidate to breed back to Silkie! The cuckoo Silkie is kind of a novelty now, not that many out there. @Corydg They could be hens the more I look at them especially the one in the bottom picture.

My silkie was incredibly scared of anything as a chick, but she calmed down a little as a grown up.

Hi all!   I'm from way up North in Washington state, but a friend of mine who lives in Crescent City is considering getting chickens.    Does anyone know of any breeders in that area I could send her to?    We could mail-order hatchery, but we were hoping to keep it local if we can.

I'm on the southern Oregon Coast but right now all I have are mixed breeds. I've got BO, BA, RIR, WL hens w/a Splash Orp roo. I would be happy to give them eggs for free.

Hi all!   I'm from way up North in Washington state, but a friend of mine who lives in Crescent City is considering getting chickens.    Does anyone know of any breeders in that area I could send her to?    We could mail-order hatchery, but we were hoping to keep it local if we can.
They just missed the Ferndale show. The California Northern thread has great contacts for breeds!

Hi guys!!! I am desperate to re-home 2 cockerels. 1 sizzle, he's red/white, the other is an Easter egger and sweet as can be! We hatched 7, only 2 were hens! Got rid of 3 boys, but still trying to get rid of 2. They're too hard on each other and too hard on our poor little girls since there are only 2. I'm in southern Oregon, will to travel if needed!!!

Back
Top Bottom