Oregon

Hi Aggiemae,

Your chickens are pretty smart if they stayed in the hole all day, our hens just walk around all day with their wings out and beaks open, there are areas of shade
but they seem to only go under the shade when the weather is a lot cooler.

I get up early everyday to water the gardens no matter what the weather is like.

Keep cool

Karen

Hi Gypsyhen,

I forgot to tell you to point the pipe up or you will just be shooting up hot air from the ground. If the jugs of ice won't cool the coop down enough try
dry ice. I will give the bag of ice another night if not cool enough we will try dry ice.

Keep cool if at all possible.

Karen

Hi Portland area chicken lovers
I have a lovely rooster named Rusty who is 10 months old. He is a mutt but appears to have Rhode Island Red and Black Austerloupe. He can be difficult to catch but once in your arms he is very docile. He is use to free range living and being the only rooster with 9 girls we had 10 but one passed last night. I would like to find him a new home locally so my daughter could potentially visit him in the future, She is upset that he needs to be rehomed. I use to have 2 roosters and they were both enamored with my Barred Rock Rocky and thru aggressive mating pulled all her back feathers out. I took the more aggressive one to the farm store. And everything was great until a week ago. Rusty all of a sudden took to Rocky and begun mating her excessively she is starting to be afraid to come out of the coup. He has been great with all the other hens. My older girls tho are of over it.
I will take a picture soon and post it here.

I also have 8 10 week roosters that are looking for forever homes. If you can have a rooster please consider one of these guys. They will be forever grateful to be able to tend to a flock of ladies.

Hi sktlmt, I just rehomed 6 black & blue laced Orpington cockerels. It tool a while. They were all from the same hatch and 5 of them went to tend a big flock in a rural area. The luckiest went to a young man and his mom who have a small flock.

It isn't so easy finding homes for the boys. You might try Craigslist, a chicken classified page on FB or the Oregon homesteaders FB page. Ask lots if questions if one person wants all of them. This can avoid having them end up as fighting birds.

Good luck!

Hi all! My family and I have just moved to Lake Oswego (about a month ago)! Chicken coop went up last weekend and our three girls (humans!) are excited to get some chickens!

Does anyone know somewhere to go to buy in person, rather than online/mail? Online feels so Russian wife-ish!!! (and my current wife might have a thing or two to say about that!)

We're hoping for ones that are already laying, as opposed to chicks.

Looking forward to the journey ahead... never raised chickens before...

Hi all! My family and I have just moved to Lake Oswego (about a month ago)! Chicken coop went up last weekend and our three girls (humans!) are excited to get some chickens!

Does anyone know somewhere to go to buy in person, rather than online/mail? Online feels so Russian wife-ish!!! (and my current wife might have a thing or two to say about that!)

We're hoping for ones that are already laying, as opposed to chicks.

Looking forward to the journey ahead... never raised chickens before...
I am in SW Portland I have 3 11 week old pullets that are looking for a new home. They are mix breeds with a fair amount of Rhode Island Red. I also have cockerels that would love to find a forever home. They have enjoyed the free range life style. PM if interested

Hi Yelnref,

I have a name of a man who sells hens that are Pullets if you want his name and number let me know, you can pm. He has many different breeds he lives in Oregon City.

Anyone in the Salem area know of a reliable and trustworthy chicken sitter? I don't have an immediate need, just trying to be prepared since we like to travel in the fall. I live just outside the city limits in West Salem. Willing to pay, of course.

but fair had no chickens. a case of avian flu was within 10 kilos of us in bend Oregon.
We weren't sure until recently but Josephine will have chickens. No waterfowl since they can be carriers, we are bringing in pigeons and doves.
The last diagnosed case of AI was in February. Since heat is believed to knock it out and we have had many consecutive 100°+ days, we are comfortable with the birds at fair.

Back
Top Bottom