Oregon

Be very careful when you are buying from unknown people. I cannot say this enough. There are people out there that have no issue selling diseased birds/chicks, Marek's, MG, MS, etc. Some going so far as to dope their birds up on antibiotics prior to sale so they may "look" healthy. The best advice I can give is to do your research on poultry disease as well as the person selling. Ask at least 10 people about a particular breeder. There are pages on Facebook, 'Good Eggs, Bad Eggs, Reviews About Poultry Buyers and Sellers' and many more that you can search a person or farm name. Quarantine the birds. Many poultry diseases will surface (show signs) when a bird is stressed; a new home, new people, new environment. Biosecurity is the key.

You bring up a very important point about the dangers of buying from individuals (unknown). There seems to be a safety in buying from hatcheries due to they are a business and have to comply with certain regulations as well as keeping a good reputation.

This is why I haven't considered buying off of Craigs list, just don't know them and how they care for their animals (been looking at chickens and goats).

Does anyone have recommendations for breeders of chickens (and goats :D ) in the Benton County area? I have been so excited about moving here (Oregon) and finally having land again to keep my critters, that I really would like to do it right and not get sickly animals/birds.

Thanks for any feed back :D

You bring up a very important point about the dangers of buying from individuals (unknown). There seems to be a safety in buying from hatcheries due to they are a business and have to comply with certain regulations as well as keeping a good reputation.

This is why I haven't considered buying off of Craigs list, just don't know them and how they care for their animals (been looking at chickens and goats).

Does anyone have recommendations for breeders of chickens (and goats :D ) in the Benton County area? I have been so excited about moving here (Oregon) and finally having land again to keep my critters, that I really would like to do it right and not get sickly animals/birds.

Thanks for any feed back :D
My in-laws breed and sell Spanish Goats in McMinnville. He is the Chairman for the Goat Association, Harless Marcom. You can see his website: Cozine Springs Ranch http://cozinespringsranch.com/about.html

Be very careful when you are buying from unknown people. I cannot say this enough. There are people out there that have no issue selling diseased birds/chicks, Marek's, MG, MS, etc. Some going so far as to dope their birds up on antibiotics prior to sale so they may "look" healthy. The best advice I can give is to do your research on poultry disease as well as the person selling. Ask at least 10 people about a particular breeder. There are pages on Facebook, 'Good Eggs, Bad Eggs, Reviews About Poultry Buyers and Sellers' and many more that you can search a person or farm name. Quarantine the birds. Many poultry diseases will surface (show signs) when a bird is stressed; a new home, new people, new environment. Biosecurity is the key.
Thanks for sharing the FB page..........I'll have to check them out!

Be very careful when you are buying from unknown people.  I cannot say this enough.  There are people out there that have no issue selling diseased birds/chicks, Marek's, MG, MS, etc.  Some going so far as to dope their birds up on antibiotics prior to sale so they may "look" healthy.  The best advice I can give is to do your research on poultry disease as well as the person selling. Ask at least 10 people about a particular breeder.  There are pages on Facebook, 'Good Eggs, Bad Eggs, Reviews About Poultry Buyers and Sellers' and many more that you can search a person or farm name. Quarantine the birds.  Many poultry diseases will surface (show signs) when a bird is stressed; a new home, new people, new environment. Biosecurity is the key.

I saw too many birds that looked unhealthy at the swap, I would be nervous buying unless I did a lot of research.

I'm not in Oregon - but across the river in Vancouver,Washington. I posted on the Washington thread and someone suggested that I try Oregon. I am looking for fertile eggs - preferably close to hatching - for my broody hen. Craigslist was a bust and I don't live near any farmers. Most of us that have chickens don't have roosters - since it's illegal. Any suggestions?

I'm not in Oregon - but across the river in Vancouver,Washington. I posted on the Washington thread and someone suggested that I try Oregon. I am looking for fertile eggs - preferably close to hatching - for my broody hen. Craigslist was a bust and I don't live near any farmers. Most of us that have chickens don't have roosters - since it's illegal. Any suggestions?

I have a bunch of eggs in my incubator right now but I'm way down in Southern Oregon. 5 hours is probably to long of a car ride for a partially developed embryo. Good luck.

You probably won't have much luck trying to transfer fertile eggs at that point in incubation, you would be better off getting day old chicks then slipping them under your hen at night. Most broodies who have been sitting about three weeks will willingly adopt them.

Google "chicken breeders near Portland". Phasian Farms is in Sherwood. Or check the thread on BYC on hatching fertile eggs from Trader Joes. Apparently quite a few can hatch!

Back
Top Bottom