Oregon

Hello! checking in From Portland. This is my first winter with chickens! The cold seems to be treating the chickens ok. Any good PNW Winter Chicken tips to heed?
It's my first winter in Portland with chickens, too. I'm just focusing on keeping predators away (I'm still scared of them!) and so far my little Bantams are doing really well with the weather, too. We are lucky with our mild temps. If we keep them dry and out of a draft, I think we are good to go. I like to give them some warm food as often as I can, too. I think that gives me more pleasure than them ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the Craigslist ad. I've inquired.

Murray McMurray will not have the quality I am looking for. At least not this early in my search.

Thoughts requested on my SW Portland coop (near Burlingame Fredmeyer). It has a closed in run. Closed with metal cloth all around and even under the run. I have been rather negligent of late in closing the coop door that leads to the run as I leave the house before the sun is out and i don't have electricity at the coop for automatic openers. So generally I have been leaving that door open and I check on them as soon as I get home. Am I running too much of a risk with predator risk?

It's my first winter in Portland with chickens, too. I'm just focusing on keeping predators away (I'm still scared of them!) and so far my little Bantams are doing really well with the weather, too. We are lucky with our mild temps. If we keep them dry and out of a draft, I think we are good to go. I like to give them some warm food as often as I can, too. I think that gives me more pleasure than them ;)
I was a little concerned on those cold moist days but they seemed to do ok. And my poop board does a great job keeping the moisture down in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom