Oregon

Hello, looks like it has been at least a couple of years since I posted in this thread. Kind of disappeared from BYC in general in part due to a rather unexpected move. Now we are in eugene, we have much less space, especially for the humans, but thankfully we were able to keep our 3 chickens. Really wanting a couple more!

How are everyone's flocks enjoying the chilly, blustery weather we've been having?

This will be our first cold season with the chickchicks, their coop has a ton of ventilation that was fantastic when it was 97F but now we're trying to balance that with the making sure it isn't drafty. They do roost above an old window that we tore out and covered over with hardware cloth - We flattened a cardboard box and cut it to size for the window and jammed it into the window frame for the night just to keep the draft out ans will remove it again for the day. It didn't get THAT cold last night, at least not here in PDX (I think it said it got to 37?) but it's going to get to 28 tonight. I know they'll be fine, but just curious how all you guys are doing and how your birds adapt.

Mine are handling the weather well...altho I wish I had more of a covering for the run. The Tractor end is covered, but rain comes from all directions and they lose out on a dry dust-bathing opportunity. I'm gonna have to create a deep box or bowl for that in the henhouse, and deal with the dust I think. Does anyone else have dry dust bath methods that work aside from a huge covered area? Maybe keep a board over a dry dust bath when that go in at night?

3-month old Lavendar Orpington Rooster needs re-homing-NE Portland. Our lovely Lavender Orpington lady is really a rooster. We are not allowed roosters in our area. We are looking to re-home him. Our first choice would be a place he can live out his life, but if that's not possible, we can accept that option. We live in NE Portland (Parkrose neighborhood).

Attachments

• 20201127_124609.jpg
    20201127_124609.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201127_124619.jpg
    20201127_124619.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201127_124820.jpg
    20201127_124820.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 3
Who are some good vets that work on chickens around Portland? I haven’t had any issues requiring one yet but it would be nice to know just for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom