in the old Canemah district

1 americauna~Hermione
1 buff orpington~goldy loaf
1 barred rock~ henny penny
1 silver laced wyandotte~Lacey

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I'm in beavercreek!

Hi, everyone -- I have been reading BYC for a few years and decided to join finally. (I'm in SE Portland)

We have Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 hens and 4 chicks currently. We just re-homed two Jersey Giants out to Gehren's Feed in Sandy because we think they bullied one of our SLW's to death last weekend.

We started with 5 SLW chicks a couple of years ago, four of them were roosters and we didn't want our remaining hen to be alone, but couldn't find any SLW's, so we ended up with 3 Jersey Giants, and one of them was a rooster... Last fall, we raised two more SLW's from chicks, bringing us to five total until last Saturday when we found one of the younger SLW's under a tree dead, with no apparent injuries, but those JG's could get really vicious with their pecking, and we think one of them could have popped her on the head. We know it's also possible she just died, but we didn't want to take any chances.

The chickens are out in the back yard during the day, it's fenced and so far we haven't lost any to predators. We are careful to lock them in the coop at night because we do have Raccoons and Possums in the city. I feel really lucky when I read about chicken keepers in the southern states especially and am glad we don't have to worry about snakes, weasels, foxes, etc. too!

smile.png

Thanks for the welcome
smile.png

The Jersey's are beautiful chickens, and we got those because everything I read about them said they were gentle, but they chased and pecked the SLW's away from food and even the places they liked to take their dust baths. They would also try to keep the others from roosting at night and there was always a big ruckus before everyone settled down. I am not sorry they're gone, actually but I hope they do get a good home.

Our chickens like to lay their eggs in a raised brick planter that is full of sage and rosemary rather than the coop, they all take turns, but it can get frantic if one of them takes too long, the others would keep peeking in at them. Sometimes, the Jersey's would actually chase the Wyandotte's out.

howdy neighbors
ya.gif
in Beavercreek and Canby and SE!!
@ Junebug good to know about Jersey Giants we had been asked if we wanted a couple JG yearlings for free..I wondered if the size difference could make them more aggressive to the smaller birds??
hmm.png

Ok so now I need to ask about 4-h for my 11 year old girl? do you all have any links??.. she wants to show her silver laced wyandotte at the Clackamas county fair in Canby..goodness knows our flowers arent going to make it... maybe the giant pumpkin..will make it...

and we have an Americauna but I don't know what her color is called and if she is a true americauna..maybe you all could help out this is Hermione
87222_hermoine.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom