Oregon

Welcome! There are some members in here that are from your area
smile.png

Hi Charlene,

I'm in Springfield, but in town, so no roosters for us. Right now we've got 13 hens close to laying age 3 silkie chicks in the brooder. I manage my mom's flock too though, and she's out in Marcola. She's got 23 with 3 Roosters.

Where in Springfield are you?

We got our chicks from Wilco here in Springfield, and Costal over in Eugene. We got pretty lucky with our pullet to cockerel ratio, and I've only had to rehome one roo (a RIR). The other two are boys are out at my mom's place, a Buff Orp and an EE. We also picked up a Welsummer roo and hen along the way, and they are out in Marcola too.

I would be surprised if your black sex link turns out to be a roo. The babies are sexed at hatching and the solid black chicks are always females. There is just occasionally a pretty big difference in development and you'll get a hen with big comb and wattles way ahead of her hatchmates.

I know what you mean about the chicken fever. I've got more silkie eggs and another batch of welsummers in the incubator right now. I think in the spring I'm going to separate some of the purebreds out for a while and get some hatching eggs to sell... we'll see. I'll have buff Orps, Welsummers, and EE's.

Nice to see another local!

Howdy Neighbors!
Anyone around the Valley or Portland have a FRIENDLY GENTLE Roo they want to rehome ?? I stress FRIENDLY because our current Rooster is attacking small children. He is probably going to end up as dinner....Unless anyone wants a beautiful 19wk Buff Orphington who is a MEAN SOB!!

I dont really care breed...just standard size... I just like having a Roo around....like the crowing... not going to hatch any chicks

THANKS

You are IN LUCK!

We have FOUR roos right now, all of whom I love. But one has to go! I do NOT want him for dinner, nor can I offer him to someone for the table at this point, but I'd love it if he got a good home with some nice girls.

He has never attacked our small kids, or even shown any interest in being mean - and he's had plenty of opportunity to do so.
He and his brother were adopted by us with an entire flock of hens (from a friend of mine who was too sick to care for them any longer). He's RIR (or possibly "production red") and protective of the girls like he should be, but friendly and "chatty" with people. I'd TOTALLY keep him if I could, but hubby says one of them has to go.

There's a photo of his brother on this page that I posted before the one I'm giving away arrived at our house. They look a lot alike.

If anyone ELSE is interested, I have four Buff Orp/RIR roos coming along nicely (from those same brothers)! They're about a month old now, and will be needing homes soon. I don't want to charge anything for them.

We live in Philomath. Could meet in Albany for an easy I-5 exchange.

Quote:
Waving to you
frow.gif
from rural Yamhill County. We live up Gopher Valley, off Hwy 18 between McMinnville and Sheridan. I drive through Amity frequently, cutting over by Hopewell (past the stinky dairy) and to the Wheatland Ferry. Yup, it's still chugging back and forth across the Willamette River ... 9 cars at a time (or less, if there are farm vehicles or cement trucks). The price has gone up, though, to $2.00 per vehicle. But, it cuts quite a few miles off of my trip and I avoid the traffic backup as you come into West Salem on Wallace Road and over the Center Street bridge into downtown Salem.

It's a bit of commute, but worth it to live in this beautiful valley.

Janine

We almost moved out to Sheridan. I want my kids to learn Japanese as a second language, and the high school there has such a great program.

AND IT IS so lovely THERE!

But we are in love with the Gorge now.
smile.png

Last edited:
I am moving to south Lebanon in April and plan on raising chickens and turkeys again and I am wondering what kind
of predators am I going to deal with?
I am also wondering where you get your chicks from and have you tried Farm 54 I think is in Hubbard?

Tight Groups Bassleg

Hello everyone! I will now be in SW Corvallis but my chickens will be in Everett WA. Anyone want to do some boarding in the Corvallis area? I'm half way between Philomath and Corvallis city centers. Perhaps let me play with your birds when mine are 300 miles away? Anyone? :p

Back
Top Bottom