Oregon

Hello, Bend! I'm your neighbor here in La Pine! GO DUCKS!!! I'm really new to this site and very excited to be apart of the chicken community. How 'bout you? How long have you lived in Oregon and raising chickens? Glad to meet someone so close in proximity to me.
thumbsup.gif

You have Javas?! OMG, there's only one other person I have run across anywhere close to me that has them! I just got 6 mottled Java chicks about 4 days ago, & I really would like to get more variety of the Java. What kinds do you have?

chic-hens

I let them out in the backyard for a bit. Just make sure you have the bag of meal worms just incase. This last batch of chicks are so tame its unreal. Usually at 11 weeks they think EVERYTHING is going to kill them.

I am really thinking of getting a rooster. If anyone near me has a young, pretty one that is maybe half bantm and half large, I might be interested. I don't want him for chicks, just want a rooster, I think a bantam would be too small, but I don't really want a big agressive one either. So... smallish, young, pretty, HEALTHY, calm and friendly! Is that too many requirements??
hmm.png

HiHo La Pine!

We are living in Central Oregon since around 8 years and are raising chicks 3 years.

Actually, our incubator is in overdrive mode @ the moment ;-)

What about you?

Great to meet you!

The bantam roos aren't as friendly in my experience.. but maybe that's just me? I've had banty frizzled and game hens, and banty cochins, and even polish and none of them were very friendly.. I have a barred rock mix rooster who's extremely friendly and HUGE, he's bigger than my jersey giant hen and he's so sweet to all my chickens, he's roughly 7 months and he's hanging out with my smaller younger welsummer chickens who just turned 4 months. He's even nice to my other roo. Hell, he goes to my neighbor's house and hangs out with their two hens, it's cute. If you're going to get a medium sized friendly roo, I'd recomened a barred rock mix with a bantam..

I am really thinking of getting a rooster. If anyone near me has a young, pretty one that is maybe half bantm and half large, I might be interested. I don't want him for chicks, just want a rooster, I think a bantam would be too small, but I don't really want a big agressive one either. So... smallish, young, pretty, HEALTHY, calm and friendly! Is that too many requirements??
hmm.png
I have had B Roo that were non aggressive and then I have had some that were very aggressive. It just depends on the breed, the way they are raised and their own attitude. In my opinion it is all in the induvidual bird.

Well call me a red neck, I taught my first bantam to come into washroom where her coop is, she has taught all the rest to do the same, one new 6 month old Nankin Bantam rooster, two Nankin Bantam 6 week old pullets I hatched and two Easter eggers 6 week old pullets we raised for the feed and seed store in Roseburg, Oregon.. It is the Easter Eggers that give me the most trouble, they just do not trust anyone. I caught the young ones and put them in their brooders in the house, the rain is crazy here too!

Back
Top Bottom