Oregon

I am already addicted to Canaries and Finches yikes. I will only have three chickens a Rhode Island Red (Rodda), Silver Lace Wyndotte (Chicky) and a Red Star (Penny). I can't help it I name all my canaries and finches why not the chickens as well. LOL!!!! My new coop will arrive on the 12th
fl.gif
. Right now the chickens are in the greenhouse. I live down on Sundown Canyon Rd on the ranch where are you?

Sherry
I am laughing because we got a gold sex link who is about 9 weeks old and her name is Penny
woot.gif
We also have Ugly Betty (the UGLIEST Black Copper Maran ever), JoJo, Frenchie, (both Giant Cochins) Roo (not sure if it's male or female australorp, but looks and has developed way different then the other australorp) Godzilla (australorp #2) and Bean (mottled Java). What a crew! They are in the fun chest-bumping stage in the yard, but at night they cuddle up on the roost
smile.png
You need to post pictures of your new additions!

I just wanted to drop a note ----thanking those that participated Saturday in Canby at the poultry show!!! The chicken swap was very enjoyable to walk through and chat with all. My family and I appreciate the labors of those there.

It was a better variety of birds than was at the state fair!!

Hi! I am joining from Salem, OR! Does anyone know of good hatcheries around OR?
Welcome. I live in Salem too. Check Craigslist for locally hatched chicks. The organic feed store in Portland had local chicks. They cost more than the hatchery chicks but the two we got from Naomi' (a Wellsummer and a Black Marans) are much larger and far better breed than our four hatchery chicks.

You you have a water dog? I see someone pushing a stroller and walking one around the capitol building sometimes.

BTW, the city council voted that we can now have five chickens now. Do you have a coop yet? I am going to start on ours this week.

Last edited:
Hi! I am joining from Salem, OR! Does anyone know of good hatcheries around OR?
I have also heard good things about Far West Hatchery if you are wanting hatchery birds. I am a local breeder of Delawares, Welsummers, White Leghorns and Black Copper Marans if you are interested in chicks of those breeds.........

Welcome. I live in Salem too. Check Craigslist for locally hatched chicks. The organic feed store in Portland had local chicks. They cost more than the hatchery chicks but the two we got from Naomi' (a Wellsummer and a Black Marans) are much larger and far better breed than our four hatchery chicks.

You you have a water dog? I see someone pushing a stroller and walking one around the capitol building sometimes.

BTW, the city council voted that we can now have five chickens now. Do you have a coop yet? I am going to start on ours this week.
Hi! I have checked craigs list, we are just waiting to get the proper permits and inspection before getting our chicks. Water dog is my nickname is the group called the Running Dawgs, which are a local group of runners. But we do have a dog that enjoys water! haha

Thats very exciting that we can have up to five chickens! My dad is actually running for city council right now! I hope you are voting!

My dad bought the chicken coop on a whim at the Rotary Auction to support habitat for humanity I think. So we have a large green coop but no chickens! haha I am so excited to get started with this all!

How are you chickies so far? :)

frow.gif
Hello from Silverton.

How are you chickies so far? :)
Two of the first six died the first day, which was very hard on my kids. We have six again, all hatched around 4/4, but I am raising three for my adult son who live in Portland. And we will add two chicks next year to keep the eggs coming in.

BTW you need to keep you chicks indoors for a few weeks and you don't need a permit for that. Just make sure you follow all the rules when you set your coop and everything shoud be OK, Tell your dad that fifty bucks for the permit is nut.

I have a 2'x3' foot brooder and I think it's pretty crowded with six small chicks so do since you already have one make sure you coop will hold five grown chicks without crowding before you buy them.

Last edited:
0.O chick drama
gig.gif

both little ones flew out of their pen, Hazel got her self lost in the 3 foot high grass and Butternut had to tough it out with the big girls( I herded her into the coop!it was the only way I could catch her ) Tater our great orange beast of a cat helped flush Hazel out... THANK THE TATERS ~
bow.gif
would hate to have to explain to DD where her new EE chicklett went.
hide.gif

Hazel lost a few feathers to Ivy but butternut is small enough(and a little chicken smarter than Hazel) to fly away from them or squeeze under the big girls butts
lol.png

hello from OC to all new peoples!
a thank you to WBruder and Moodlymoo for your fine additions to our flock..

Anybody want some bantam Ameraucana hatching eggs? I have 20 right now. These are true Ameraucana, not Easter Eggers. Resulting offspring will be blue and black.

The cock bird in this pen right now won Reserve AOCCL of the open show at Stevenson last October, the two black pullets are out of a hen that won Champion AOCCL of the youth show last October, and a cock that won Reserve Ch. Ameraucana and BB / BV at the only 2 shows I've had him at. Only one of the three blue hens has been shown, and only once, but won BV at that show.

I usually sell these eggs for $30/dozen, but will sell all of these (20+ whatever gets collected before they are picked up) for $20. Smoking deal!

Back
Top Bottom