Oregon

We were at Newberg at around 10ish on Saturday morning. The only ones that were all reserved were the Americaunas. We could have waited until the shipment next week, but we decided to just get them all Saturday.

And here's a picture, just so you can see the cuteness. These are our first chickens ever!

Left to right: Boomer, Number Six, Dualla, and Starbuck

Probably only missed each other by about a half hour!!!
We were the ding bats taking an hour to decide what kinds of chooks to get.
Guess it's lucky for us we weren't after the Americaunas!!!

Your babies are beyond adorable!!! Congratulations on your first brood!!! (betcha it won't be your last!!!!)
wink.png

Last edited:
oh ok i know that felling
She is really kicking herself, now. When she got them she thought she would have the heart to 'do' them, but last year's turkey holidays came and went. Now they are big lumbering beasts, and she still doesn't have the heart.
I tried to 'man up' and help her, but doing her old roos for her is where I have to draw the line.
I am no wuss, but these old turkeys just make me sad...
sad.png

I guess this poultry game is a Live and Learn one for us all!

She is really kicking herself, now. When she got them she thought she would have the heart to 'do' them, but last year's turkey holidays came and went. Now they are big lumbering beasts, and she still doesn't have the heart.
I tried to 'man up' and help her, but doing her old roos for her is where I have to draw the line.
I am no wuss, but these old turkeys just make me sad...
sad.png

I guess this poultry game is a Live and Learn one for us all!
it is i have five turkeys that are going to get butchered soon and im already feeling it but its got to happen so i just got to suck it up

it is i have five turkeys that are going to get butchered soon and im already feeling it but its got to happen so i just got to suck it up
I feel ya, friend.
It is never a job I enjoy. My husband won't come near it with a 10 foot pole. But he sure likes fresh chicken.
Of course I am the farmer and he is the 'city folk' of this diverse family.

I have a roo to do on Tuesday, and I am not looking forward to it one bit.
Still, I know they have had good lives, excellent care and a happy place to be. Then it's my duty to dispatch them quickly and humanely. It's the job I signed up for.
I do find the worst part is the dread in anticipation. The doing of it is never as bad as I make it in my head for a week (or month or year) beforehand. I'm already dreading the roos hatched Wednesday.
At least the Wilco 5 are all girls!!! Don't have to think about them for years!

Silverton Wilco had a lot of chicks left today, and they have a layer crumble that has no corn and no soy for anyone who is interested in that. It is the "Home Grown" brand and is 16% protein which comes from Alfalfa meal. My chickens love it!

Too bad Otis is too far away for me. I don't have any problem processing old turkeys.

If those are Broad Breasted turkeys, which is what people usually raise to eat, they are going to be miserable pretty soon as they continue to get bigger and bigger. It's not as bad is it is with Cornish Cross chickens, but they are not designed to be kept around forever.

All she has to do is to put an ad on Craigslist and they will be gone, fast.

Too bad Otis is too far away for me. I don't have any problem processing old turkeys.

If those are Broad Breasted turkeys, which is what people usually raise to eat, they are going to be miserable pretty soon as they continue to get bigger and bigger. It's not as bad is it is with Cornish Cross chickens, but they are not designed to be kept around forever.

All she has to do is to put an ad on Craigslist and they will be gone, fast.
Craig's List is a great idea! I will mention that to her, today!
Thanks!

A friend in Kansas has a local place that does all of her chicken "processing". She does do them in lots of 5-10 birds or more and all kinds of breeds. Has anyone found a butcher/meat processor around Oregon that does this sort of stuff? Just curious if it is a midwest thing or what.

A friend in Kansas has a local place that does all of her chicken "processing". She does do them in lots of 5-10 birds or more and all kinds of breeds. Has anyone found a butcher/meat processor around Oregon that does this sort of stuff? Just curious if it is a midwest thing or what.
There is a USDA processing place in Scio, not sure the name of it. We do our own so haven't had the need..........

Back
Top Bottom