Oregon

Wow, am I out to lunch........ you asked about the various types of poultry, not chicken breeds!!! Only raised quail and chickens and much prefer chickens :) DH is having knee replacement surgery soon, first one Sept. 19th, pre-op tomorrow, too much on my mind, so sorry!!!

Didn't catch that.
Haha, no worries!!! Yes, I was referring to the non-chicken poultry but it's nice to hear input on chicken breeds! I have several different breeds and just recently aquired Silkies (SO EXCITED). I find myself thinking open-mindedly about other types of poultry since I have found chickens so intriguing!
Zanna, I'm sending good vibes for your hubby's sx
hugs.gif

OK i have lived in Oregon my whole life but not close to a wilco LOL,
can someone tell me more about them how to order and where they are and the closest one to Florence
Is it like shop co or walmart ?

also how much are they asking for chicks and when is the best time to order chicks .?Tammy
How can you live in Oregon and not be near a Wilco???
Here is a link to all of the local Wilcos:http://www.wilco.coop/ click at the top of the page, "Find A Location"
They seem to be in Western Oregon...so sorry if you live on the East side...no Oregonian offense intended.

Last edited:
can someone tell me more about them how to order and where they are and the closest one to Florence 

also how much are they asking for chicks and when is the best time to order chicks .?Tammy

Your not alone I never heard of Wilco until I read it on here. I see the closest one to me is about an hour away. I just go to Co-op or Coastal.

Last edited:

How can you live in Oregon and not be near a Wilco???
Here is a link to all of the local Wilcos:http://www.wilco.coop/ click at the top of the page, "Find A Location"
They seem to be in Western Oregon...so sorry if you live on the East side...no Oregonian offense intended.

I had never been to a Wilco until April and fell in love! The closest one to me is in Battle Ground, WA and I rarely go to that town and so had never heard of them until a friend, in March or April, picked up chicks and was telling me about them so I decided to check them out.

Went to the grand opening of the new Kelso, WA store yesterday and made out big time! $10 off- per bag- of the Blue Buffalo kibble I feed my dogs, $5. off, per bag, of chicken feed, 10 cu ft bales of wood shavings for $4.+, the list goes on. More than paid for my gas to get there and it was a beautiful day, so enjoyed the drive. They also had chicks, buy one, get one free but I don't need any, just enjoyed watching them and seeing the kids. Kids sure love chicks :)

I looked it up and the nearest to you is Springfield, right on the east side of Eugene- 1 hrs, 27 min away (according to Map Quest). You likely have other farm stores closer than that :)

Sheila :)

.........also how much are they asking for chicks and when is the best time to order chicks .?Tammy

At the Kelso store, yesterday, they were $2.49 - $2.99 a chick. They are selling chicks right now. They carry them twice a year; Spring/Fall. I would guess, the best time of year is personal preference.

If Spring: Chicks (depending on breed) would mature to egg laying between July and September. However, egg production is linked to light so when the days shorten, the production goes down unless you supplement them with artificial light to keep light to 13 hours a day (for best egg production).

If Fall: Chicks (depending on Breed) would mature to egg laying between January to March. This is when the days are lengthening and so you will have the best egg production during the summer when there is so much light and would not need to give them artificial light (and electricity to your coop) for best egg production.

There are different thoughts to adding artificial light (in winter) to keep egg production up. Some feel it drains the birds and shortens their egg laying life span. The yellow yoke, of the egg, gets it color by leaching it from the hen. You will notice the longer she is laying the whiter her pigment gets. To be a "natural" method for the hens is to allow them to slow egg production, in winter, so they can back their color.

I am not advocating either method, just letting you know about them. I know which method I prescribe to but do not wish to start a debate on it.

I hope this helps with your question.

Last edited:
I do on occasion shop at Wilco or Coastal.....but I try really hard to shop at my local family run feed store. I know if don't they will soon disappear. I haven't paid attention to their sign to see if they are doing fall chicks though.

We have a patio set sitting right next to our run...don't know what I will do when the rain sets in. I like to have my coffee there. I tease Scott all the time that am going to buy a chicken diaper and bring one inside to live with us. I think the idea pretty much horrifies him. He saw a post that I had made asking about turkey saddles...he misunderstood and thought I meant diaper.... he was afraid that I was thinking about bringing my turkey Freebie inside.
I have two incubators full....I shall have plenty of entertainment soon!

Your 'rainy day' chicken patio :) LOL!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37050911544...tml?_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=370509115445&_rdc=1

Back
Top Bottom