Oregon

In the Tri-Cities (eastern wa for those who don't know) we've had 3 or 4 cougar sightings in the last year, the last one being in my neighborhood. I just expect this type of thing and refuse to live in fear about it. Although I would shoot something threatening me and mine, I love wildlife and respect their right to live in BALANCE. People have done a crappy job of keeping balance unfortunately. I'm fine with those who hunt (as long as it's responsible hunting) but I'm not fine with indiscriminate killing of all predators.

I agree. One thing I learned growing up on a farm is that a new predator will always come along to replace the ones that are killed. IMO taking preventative measures to protect domestic animals than to wage war against wildlife is the way to go.

I don't think anyone has suggested "waging war" against any wildlife. Those of us that have mentioned hunting coyotes, or being ready to shoot predators that come into our yards if necessary, do so to protect our animals. I for one, am not out to erradicate coyotes from the face of the earth...

I don't think anyone has suggested "waging war" against any wildlife. Those of us that have mentioned hunting coyotes, or being ready to shoot predators that come into our yards if necessary, do so to protect our animals. I for one, am not out to erradicate coyotes from the face of the earth...
Oh, I promise I wasn't accusing anyone of this in my previous post. I have been around people who just want to kill anything given the opportunity, though. It was the thought of "those people" that prompted my post.

Ohhh I didn't mean that Jeanine, I just meant I'd rather be preventative than have to kill something. I liked what she said about living in balance.
I know. :) I agree with it too.
Quote: I didn't think you were...it was the last part of the comment made by aggiemae that prompted my response. I should have quoted her. Sorry guys!
big_smile.png

I didn't think you were...it was the last part of the comment made by aggiemae that prompted my response. I should have quoted her. Sorry guys!
big_smile.png
I wasn't directing my comment at anyone in particular and certainly didn't intend to offend anyone. I was just expressing my personal view on the subject.

And, in defense of my comment, I have actually read some very disturbing comments here on BYC from posters who clearly enjoyed killing predators.

Last edited:
Quote: OK, well, considering that there were only 2 of us that had made comments recently about having guns ready for predators, what should I have thought about your comment? I had no reason to assume that it was due to comments made by other people on other threads. I understand now, thank you for clarifying.
smile.png

I live out between Lebanon and Stayton.
About 2 years ago- My neighbor, about 1-2 miles away, came out of her house and there was a young male bobcat walking in her driveway. The chickens were out and so she put down the stuff she was carrying to the car and went and put them up. Her dog was going crazy, but the cat didnt mind her or the dog. She got the chickens up and decided to stay home. The cat hung around for about 20 minutes and then disappeared into the fields. A few months later, she went out to feed her Llamas in the morning. They usually all come in toward the house for feeding. One was missing. She and her husband found out that a huge male cougar had taken out the Llama(around 400 pounds). She was heartbroken and found out that it had taken down goats, some cattle and other animals locally. Fish and wildlife came out and they were there several times before the cat was around again. I am not sure who got the cat, maybe their hunter or her husband with OFW's ok. Anyway, no more cat. She got it stuffed(I know some people may disagree with this, but it is what they did and it was their choice-not mine) and has it on display at her place.She hasnt seen the bobcat since that one day.
Now- We have multiple cougars around. The guys that live down the road that is across the road from us have warned my daughter that they have seen 2-3 different ones in a day or two, so she shouldnt walk down the road. The folks out behind us have said the same thing. My neighbor, on one side, has LGD out on the back of their property and we have the Catahoulas toward the front/other side of our property and we havent had any problems yet. I figure that the old large male is gone so now we have territory open and there are multiple cats coming in to it. Most of these are young and it appears to be both males and females...guess time will tell.
I understand why the cat got shot and all, but I think having him around is what kept all the others out and in a way made this area safer. I know he couldnt stay after he started taking down livestock, but now we have all these other cats(who have reportedly taken out dogs, cats and small livestock-so far) and have to deal with all of them until hopefully there is another cat that will limit how many others come through. Not sure what is worse.....

Back
Top Bottom