Oregon

We aren't specific on breed, we have a variety. Out of the dozen we had my son and daughter each got to choose one to be their chick, they each put their hand in the brooder at our feed store to find the friendliest chicks. My son had a Sicilian Buttercup (she wasn't going to be a very good layer but she sure was a super friendly little girl) and my daughter ended up with a non-frizzling Red Frizzle Cochin bantam roo LOL! Buttercup was my son's baby, he went out every day just to say hi and make sure she was happy! He went out yesterday to check on her and came back in to tell me he couldn't find her, I went out with him and found a pile of feathers along with part of her :( It's never fun losing a chicken but this is our first we've lost like this and it's so heartbreaking that it had to be his :(
We have 11 now that range in age from 7ish weeks to 15 weeks so I really just want to find a girl that would be easy to transition into our flock. We seriously just finished transitioning our babies in within the last week and a half :( Really though I'd do anything even if it meant getting a baby and starting over with the transition just for him to be happy! I'll check Craigslist and might even drive to Salem, Thank you! And sorry for the novel ;)
Thank You! I will look them up and give them a call too! My husband just left for Florence for the weekend so I could have him stop on his way home, although I wasn't gonna tell him until after we got her LOL! It wouldn't be the first time I've done that, last time I did it he ended up having to build another coop hahaha! He'll be more understanding about this though, our little guy is so heartbroken :( Thank you so much for the response!

I had two Sicilian Buttercups (I just sold them). They were awesome layers. Nearly everyday we got a medium sized white egg from each girl.

Also I have a Golden Lakenvelder pullet that will be 16 weeks old this week that is available. She will be about the size of the Sicilian Buttercups and will also lay a white egg. Her name is Velda and I was going to keep her. I transitioned her into a pen with some slightly bigger kids and the top of her head is missing some feathers, but she is finally one of the gang. I think she will be too small for my rooster..just like the Buttercups. For some reason the Buttercups were my roos favorites and he was just too dang big, so I re-homed them.

Last edited:
So sad, I would have been on my way to your house right now LOL! Happy to hear the internet didn't have the right info on her, I'd love to have another at some point if I can find one as sweet as she was. I got my son off the school bus a few times with his baby on my arm and she always did so good! I loved her tail too :) Thanks for correcting what we had read, it will definately keep me wanting another when I find one :)

So sad, I would have been on my way to your house right now LOL! Happy to hear the internet didn't have the right info on her, I'd love to have another at some point if I can find one as sweet as she was. I got my son off the school bus a few times with his baby on my arm and she always did so good! I loved her tail too :) Thanks for correcting what we had read, it will definately keep me wanting another when I find one :)

They are the only ones I have had..maybe I just got lucky. I got them at around 7-8 months..they did not appreciate being picked up. Something to think about. If you want a hen that will be super friendly with your son..getting a chick and starting over would be a good idea. This way you can handle her all the time. Silkies and Brahmas are really good choices for kids..they are super docile and calm.

Do any of you know a place in the Portland area (willing to drive within reason) that still has chickens available? Preferably in the 8-16 weeks-ish? We found my 5 year olds chick laying out in the field today, she didn't survive whatever got ahold of her and he's so heartbroken :( Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

There is a "chicken show" at the fair grounds in Salem this weekend and people will have chickens for sale this evening till 9PM and all day tomorrow. Remember to bring a carrier

Last edited:
Do any of you know a place in the Portland area (willing to drive within reason) that still has chickens available? Preferably in the 8-16 weeks-ish? We found my 5 year olds chick laying out in the field today, she didn't survive whatever got ahold of her and he's so heartbroken :( Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Call Oregon city Wilco they had some last week

I had two buttercups about ten weeks second day in the coop and something for in the run killed the two buttercups and took one of my wyandottes so peepss turned into lucky the soul survivor

Rain has started! Yippee, down with the dust.
wee.gif
Dang, here comes the mud.
he.gif

And ALL the people who forgot how to drive in it. Took 20 minutes to drive 2 miles when I went into town to grocery shop. But I am glad the warm weather is done. I am not a warm weather person. 75 degrees is my limit.

Back
Top Bottom