Organic Approaches to Getting Feces Less Messy

First part of experiment using Speckled Sussex pullets did not work. Pullets would not roost up. First experiment is to determine if feces quality varies with time of day. Casual observations with chickens in the garage suggest it does. Plan is to have a group of singly housed pullets where feces can be collected every hour around the clock. Problem ran into is where Speckled Sussex would not roost up making it difficult to collect feces because birds sleeping on collection surface. Yesterday we swapped out Speckled Sussex for American Games. Games much tamer and come when called. Games still a bunch of Houdini's as they forced their way out of pens early this morning. I had no trouble calling them over where they then flew to hand so I could put them back in. Games are roosting up. Having to determine how much they eat per day so they are eat at much as possible without leaving excess in feeder or on ground. We named them.
Maple escaped.
View attachment 2021496
Butterscotch escaped. She was also used to follow feather development which almost complete. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/molting-as-growing-up.1325544/#post-21622635
View attachment 2021498
Pens in a row.
View attachment 2021499
Lightweight plywood covers now being weighed down a little. If escape repeated then will be tied down.
View attachment 2021501
Light levels too high at night. Birds flew off roost for food when I approached pens at 0500. Will replace white night lights for red once I figure out how to reach 16 to 20 feet high fixtures. Otherwise pullets behaving as they should and roosting on poles. They also appear to drift along poles at night rather than staying in one spot. That may be because light levels too high.

No. The did not fill out application.

Exactly! Certified organic is nice and all, but I have a hard time believing that chickens eating high priced “organic” pellets have it better than those digging in compost, getting a nice mix of food scraps, eating grass and weeds, and catching abs eating bugs of all kinds.

Better off or not, those “organic” chickens are certainly less sustainable!

Exactly! Certified organic is nice and all, but I have a hard time believing that chickens eating high priced “organic” pellets have it better than those digging in compost, getting a nice mix of food scraps, eating grass and weeds, and catching abs eating bugs of all kinds.

Better off or not, those “organic” chickens are certainly less sustainable!
I think organic free-range is doable using only a few select grains to supplement forages and what a compost pile based on what organic refuse can supply.

We are getting real close to collecting feces for experiment. Game pullets acclimating well to setups and regimen. Pullets averaging about 2100 g have been provided a restricted ration of 150 g per day which is about 7% body weight per day. They are not in lay. Day before yesterday heater turned on so ambient bumped from 45 F to about 65 F. Immediate change in feed intake reduced to about 125 g or 6% body weight per day.

@centrarchid, you have lots of bamboo. Have you thought of experimenting with its leaves for less messy poop?
Not as of yet. Prefer to work with products that can be obtained by the ton. Co-workers will be raising a lot of hemp in the coming years where primary product they want is the seeds. I have been trying to find uses for the byproduct, in this case, the crop residue left behind by combine. We may also play with meal left over after oils pressed out. All this has to be carried out following organic rules.

Feed mix used for this trial. Three parts (n=3) Pelleted NatureWise All Flock Feed 20% crude protein and five parts (n=5) Showtime Rooster Conditioner 16% crude protein. Parts by weight.

IMG_0020.jpg

Pullets coming into lay. Two forced themselves out of pens after I applied feed. They hid themselves very well in a room that is only 40 feet x 40 feet. Coworker expended some effort and could not find them. I found them in about a minute. They both 20 feet up perched side by side on the duct system. I was able to call them down. Student that observed my efforts thinks I am nuts. They are just jealous.

Shortly a nest will be applied to each pen which reduce motivation to escape. A rooster will be allowed to cover them each in turn so eggs will be fertile. Then pullets will be allowed to produce clutches and grow broody. For fun we will continue fecal collection to compare feces production of pullets in lay versus broody. I know answer, now we will put numbers describing.

Getting closer to collection of feces around the clock. Pullets be acclimated to slow changes as we set up to collect feces without scaring more crap out of them.

Rooster brought into to cover pullets to start production of hatching eggs. He produced some extremely fibrous turds after eating a lots of plant roots. For some reason they eat a lot basal plant components. I guess because they are developing shoots that will be coming up soon.

IMG_0048.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg

Pullet showing white ear lobe which I take as sign she is really close to coming into lay. She was soliciting rooster when released.
IMG_0056.jpg

No white. No solicit.
IMG_0058.jpg

White and solicit.
IMG_0059.jpg

Rooster (Tic)
IMG_0064.jpg

Will shack up with each pullet for a day each week.
IMG_0068.jpg

Black painted poop board. It scary.
IMG_0071.jpg

We are looking into doing something benefit backyard poultry keepers, especially those using organic approaches. I have an idea that could result in feces that is easier to "harvest" from flat surfaces like below roost. Anyone here use the feces for gardening / composting? A particular fiber source I think makes for better feces, but do not know what is the range of amounts that provides benefits with causing troubles. Most interest here is in meat birds (Cornish cross) but I could likely swing some effort towards "free-range" laying hens.

I also have access to biochar, but do not know if it can be classified as organic.
I believe it can be, My own approach though is always spreading the manure on soil if you have plant life around you or plants that you own.

Back
Top Bottom