Organic Feed and Grains warning

kylemsenger

Chirping
Sep 7, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Like most chicken keepers we use smaller containers to keep scratch at hand (after all we use very little) We recently had a fun mess with our organic feeds when we opened our scratch grains bin to find an infestation of thousands of black bugs that look sort of like tiny horned beetles. They had destroyed the scratch, composted most of it right in the bin (so gross). They then had just started to move to our feed which is stored directly above the scratch. Because there are no chemicals or pesticides in the feed the bugs went nuts. I always mix in diatomaceous earth when I add the feed to the feeder but lesson learned! As soon as I get them home I mix in a HEALTHY amount of DE. Just thought Id share because if i had thought of this or heard from anyone it could have saved me a trip to tractor supply for scratch.

Like most chicken keepers we use smaller containers to keep scratch at hand (after all we use very little) We recently had a fun mess with our organic feeds when we opened our scratch grains bin to find an infestation of thousands of black bugs that look sort of like tiny horned beetles. They had destroyed the scratch, composted most of it right in the bin (so gross). They then had just started to move to our feed which is stored directly above the scratch. Because there are no chemicals or pesticides in the feed the bugs went nuts. I always mix in diatomaceous earth when I add the feed to the feeder but lesson learned! As soon as I get them home I mix in a HEALTHY amount of DE. Just thought Id share because if i had thought of this or heard from anyone it could have saved me a trip to tractor supply for scratch.
They're called weevils, seen these long nosed beetles in bags of bird seed.

Back
Top Bottom