Organic Feed In Small Amounts?

sune42

Songster
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Northern Kentucky
I will be picking up 4 chicks from Meyer on the 22nd. Possibly 5 if they hatch more Faverolles then expected and I can get hubby to look away for a sec. In any case, I am looking to raise my hens on an organic diet, but I am having a hard time finding feed in small enough amounts. Anyone have a source for organic feed in small amounts? I guess when they are on layer, it will be ok to get the larger (50lb) bag, because I can keep that for a few months, but I don't need 50lbs of starter. From what I discussed with the hatchery, I will only need around 5lbs, then switch to a grower feed, right?

HI,
I am currently feeding 8 fluffbutts on the medicated start and grow. Its a 50 lb bag. I will be able to use it all up feeding them. I am not sure, but 5 lbs sounds off a little to me. Have you checked on the feeding and maintenance section of the BYC forum? I got a lot of good info from folks last year about feeds, protein ratios and appropriate ages. I know this doesn't answer much but maybe helps to find more info. Good luck with the babies. I went to pick up 7 chicks and when I got home, I keep coming up with 8. Hhmmnn how did that happen?
lol.png
I used Start and Grow and then went to Game bird feed. You should be able to use 25 to 50 lbs starter and then move on to grower or layer. They do eat alot. And you can blend your feeds if you want as they get growing older.

RachaelC- mother of all

I ordered my bag from My Pet Chicken. I figured I'd rather spend a couple more bucks shipping a 10# bag than wasting most of a 50# bag.

B

Rachaelc, I think you are right. Either the lady I talked to, or I was confused. I will need a hair over 10lbs if I feed for 3 weeks, 14ish if I feed for 4, then switch to grower until they start laying. I am rereading Storey's Guide to Chickens since it was a while ago that I read it. Hoping to get all my info straight before I pick them up.

Bad_Coffee, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that MPC sells organic in the smaller amounts. That looks like the way to go.

Thanks ladys!

Amanda

Back
Top Bottom