Organic Feed...Its so expensive!!

Attolia97

Hatching
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Would love to know what brands of Organic feed you have used/are using as well as the prices. I have 18 young pullets on starter/Developer and I'm spending 60$ every two weeks for a 50 lb bag of feed through McGeary Organics.

Was also thinking of mixing my own feed, but looking at organic bulk grain prices makes me think I wont save much. anyone have experience mixing their own feed?

Also I' located in the Long Island NY area, If anyone knows of any mills or distributers around here that would be great....would be willing to drive a bit as well.

Thanks so much!!

I have no idea if they have any distribution in your area, but we use Hiland Naturals out of Ohio. We're using their non-gmo at $25/50lb and I think the organic is about $37/50lb.

Are you ordering McGeary on the internet? I know they are expensive, but $60 is a lot otherwise. You should be able to find Nature's Best Organic at a feed store. I pay $36.99/50 lbs. when I use it, but it may be a bit more on Long Island. Talmage Agway In Riverhead NY is a distributor for Organic Unlimited Feeds from Atglen Chester County, PA. This company has both soy & no soy layer feed. I pay $31.25/50 lbs. for that her in SE PA. Hope this helps.

You can also get Green Mountain Feed from Vermont in several places in CT if that is not too far away. They also have soy & no soy feed. I was able to try some of the no soy Green Mtn. recently & my girls did fantastic on it! Good luck.

Just thought about Lakeview Organics in Pen Yan, NY. They sell organic grains & feeds. I know that is way out west, but perhaps you could find a place closer that uses their stuff. You just have to call any feed store or farm anywhere near you & find out.

unless you dont have to pay for shipping organic is just gimmick {imho} they dont eat it any better or grow any better and unless EVERY food you buy is organic than why?? and imho....and organics seldom come in high protein which is good for faster growth on non CX ...but theres always the opinions on here that you must feed this at starter than this then the other..weowww...my grammas gramma never had that stuff so how does it make it all better now?? but ya know its not like old times with young people...again not flaming anyone just my thoughts...i am easy and dont get excited if all i have to eat is spec soup like my daddy had to in '20,s...jeff

unless you dont have to pay for shipping organic is just gimmick {imho} they dont eat it any better or grow any better and unless EVERY food you buy is organic than why?? and imho....and organics seldom come in high protein which is good for faster growth on non CX ...but theres always the opinions on here that you must feed this at starter than this then the other..weowww...my grammas gramma never had that stuff so how does it make it all better now?? but ya know its not like old times with young people...again not flaming anyone just my thoughts...i am easy and dont get excited if all i have to eat is spec soup like my daddy had to in '20,s...jeff

OP asked about organic. You are right that your gramma didn't have so many choices, but your gramma's chickens probably weren't bred to lay so many eggs either. Food is different today in that some of us would rather not eat GMO grains, so we prefer organic. Mine use less on organic also. Most organic feeds have grower/ starter in a higher protein.

I bought Bar Ale 16% Hi-Energy (Organic Non-GMO) feed for $22.40 for 40lb bag at a local feed store. So .56 per pound. I thought that was reasonable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom