Do you use organic chicken feed?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters
I voted no.

That being said...

Would I like to? Absolutely! I think everyone would, if they could. The reason I don't is because of cost.

I have 15 chickens. 14 pullets, 1 cockerel. I'm going through about 4lbs every day. Roughly $2/day. I currently use Purina 20% Flock Raiser that's $0.54/lb. It's $27 per 50lb bag at my closest Tractor Supply. Finding an organic flock raiser is well over $1/lb, or over $4/day.

I currently don't sell my eggs. I give them away. But even when I do decide to sell them, I would never recoup my feed cost. I'd have to charge $10/dozen. Nobody would pay that much.

I can only imagine what the feed bill would be if you had more than 15 chickens, and fed them organic.

I voted no.

That being said...

Would I like to? Absolutely! I think everyone would, if they could. The reason I don't is because of cost.

I have 15 chickens. 14 pullets, 1 cockerel. I'm going through about 4lbs every day. Roughly $2/day. I currently use Purina 20% Flock Raiser that's $0.54/lb. It's $27 per 50lb bag at my closest Tractor Supply. Finding an organic flock raiser is well over $1/lb, or over $4/day.

I currently don't sell my eggs. I give them away. But even when I do decide to sell them, I would never recoup my feed cost. I'd have to charge $10/dozen. Nobody would pay that much.

I can only imagine what the feed bill would be if you had more than 15 chickens, and fed them organic.
This makes total sense. Prices can definitely be crazy high!

Voted no, a friend of mine swears by "organic".
Cost for one and I really don't feel "organic" is healthier than the feed I purchase, although I understand the concern with "processing ". I prefer crumbles to pellets, although I've learned crumbles are sometimes "Made For" and I can see/smell the difference whereas pellets are always "Made By". So I check labels before purchasing crumbles WHEN it's in. Also learned when feed is manufactured, they work to keep the Nutritional Value but depending on the time of the year and availability ingredients may/do change.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom