Organic Millet Spray?

NewYorkMama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Hi! My hens LOVE millet spray (on the stem/branch) - it keeps them entertained, and from what I've read, it's a healthy treat. My concern is that the only source I've found locally are the big box stores - and they're branded for "pet birds" (i.e. parrots). They aren't marked as being pesticide-free or organic. Since we eat the eggs these girls produce, I really don't want to be giving them grains of unknown source. Which brings me to my question:

Does anyone have a source for ORGANIC (or at least marked as pesticide-free) spray millet? I have found organic millet seed, but part of the idea behind giving them millet spray is the FUN the girls have pecking it off the branch! :)

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

I have no idea, but; have you called the supplier? In general, if it's from China, I'd avoid it, but otherwise, just ask the producer. Google the producer? Check with your state ag school? Somebody will know... Mary

Millet will grow like crazy. You can get seed at farm seed supply stores. Thanks for reminding me about it. You can cut it, hang it to dry for a supply over the winter. It is also a healthy grain for people. I love it cooked and use it like rice.

Back
Top Bottom