Organic Non GMO Wholesome Feed?

Quote:
You might want to check your facts there. The term "Organic" in the United States is regulated by the USDA.

GMO are prohibited under the National Organic Plan:

Excluded methods. A variety of methods used to genetically modify organisms or influence their growth and development by means that are not possible under natural conditions or processes and are not considered compatible with organic production. Such methods include cell fusion, microencapsulation and macroencapsulation, and recombinant DNA technology (including gene deletion, gene doubling, introducing a foreign gene, and changing the positions of genes when achieved by recombinant DNA technology). Such methods do not include the use of traditional breeding, conjugation, fermentation, hybridization, in vitro fertilization, or tissue culture.

Here is a link to the Federal Regulations for your reference:

http://tinyurl.com/464poho

Personally, I do not trust anything the federal govt. or any dept. in the federal govt. tells me. They have proven, to me, beyond any doubt that so many lies have been told to us already.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. on feed. I will definitely look at all links shared. I am not comfortable (yet) with making my own feed. I may get there some day, just not yet. I like to master one thing and then move on from there to another. So one day I may feel up to that challenge. I admire those of you who are already at that point.
smile.png

I was also under the impression (from research I've personally done) that organic foods in the United States could not contain genetically modified ingredients. I do think that's correct.

Quote:
The federal government does not "run" the organic food industry. They only write and enforce the regulations, with input from many groups. Organic certification is done by third party agencies following the specified federal guidelines. Those third party agencies provide unbiased certification services to the organic producers allowing the producers to market products to the consumer with a certification that that the products meet a certain standard of organic production.

http://www.mosaorganic.org/
http://tilth.org/

Quote:
The federal government does not "run" the organic food industry. They only write and enforce the regulations, with input from many groups. Organic certification is done by third party agencies following the specified federal guidelines. Those third party agencies provide unbiased certification services to the organic producers allowing the producers to market products to the consumer with a certification that that the products meet a certain standard of organic production.

http://www.mosaorganic.org/
http://tilth.org/

Sorry about that. I wasn't aware of the third party certification. When usda is involved I just jump to self protection mode.
wink.png

Quote:
You might want to check your facts there. The term "Organic" in the United States is regulated by the USDA.

GMO are prohibited under the National Organic Plan:

Excluded methods. A variety of methods used to genetically modify organisms or influence their growth and development by means that are not possible under natural conditions or processes and are not considered compatible with organic production. Such methods include cell fusion, microencapsulation and macroencapsulation, and recombinant DNA technology (including gene deletion, gene doubling, introducing a foreign gene, and changing the positions of genes when achieved by recombinant DNA technology). Such methods do not include the use of traditional breeding, conjugation, fermentation, hybridization, in vitro fertilization, or tissue culture.

Here is a link to the Federal Regulations for your reference:

http://tinyurl.com/464poho

Certified organic means non GMO.
Yes, certified organic non gmo soy beans are quite available.

Me I choose to not feed soy regardless.. I feel our foods are saturated with soy. Another words we get to much already, so I do not want to add to it in our diet with our chickens.

Plenty of other options such as Fish meal, field peas and so forth.

ON

All of you that stated that Organic certed food can not contain GMO are correct (by the book)
I should have said it differently. IMO, the mass prevalance of GMO soy beans has "infected" nearly all soy products...I believe many farmers think they are getting non round up ready seed when in fact it is not. Just my opinion. Here is a quote from kidfriendlyorganic.blogspot.com

Round Up resistant seeds are GMO seeds engineered to survive applications of Round Up. That way, the farmer can spray his fields with Round Up and kill everything but the seeds which just soak it in. Pretty neat, huh? 91% of soybeans, 85% of corn and 88% of cotton in the US are grown from GMO seeds according to the USDA Economic Research Service. Must work great as it’s so popular.

With Monsanto going after every single soybean farmer in the U.S. and 91% of all U.S. soybeans are GMO from Monsanto It is likely that even organic beans are GMO. At any rate, I don't want to start a heated discussion, lol
I will choose as the above poster did to not feed soy on the fact that it has penetrated most other aspects of our food anyway. I did check out the great links to other packaged organic feed and most of it looks great...just the price stings quite a bit. At least I know exactly what I am eating, and I guess that comes with a price.
Happy Feeding
big_smile.png

I buy organic layer pellets 16% protein to use as a treat for my girls (homemixed feed is the rest). My chicks up to around 6 weeks of age get organic starter/grower feed 20% protein.

I get mine from the feed store.

I feed organic cracked corn in my feed to avoid GMO corn. I buy organic layer and starter to avoid GMO soy.

If there weren't GMO, I could buy regular feed.
sad.png

Quote:
X2
wink.png
.....I'm trying to raise my own chicken feed rather than pay the higher $$$

Quote:
Not true. The term Organic can be used quite loosely, and it especially varies from state to state. To sell just about anything "organic" in states like OR, all you need is to make a profit under a certain quota. (I believe it was 5k? or 50k?)

Organic does not mean non-GMO. In most places, it just means to not use pesticides, herbicides, etc.

Certified organic DOES mean No GMO if the feed mill tests for GMOs. It is a gray area for sure. With the governments approval of 2 more GMO crops this month, soon organic farmers will be really up a creek. Our gov't seems to only care where the money comes from. If they would require GMO labeling on everything, we could make our own decisions, but consumers don't need to know what goes into our food & feed, just trust the gov't.

Moderndayhippie,
I don't know where you're located, but if you're anywhere in the NE-to SE states, Countryside Naturals is a company out of VA that I'd highly recommend. They have some excellent soy-free organic feed. There are resellers in about 6 states, including AL, IL, FL, VA, WV, CT.

Here's a copy of the ingredients in their layer feed. It gets a little expensive with the shipping ($12, to PA) but I feed it 50% ration with Layena in the winter, and 75% during prime laying season, with my own scratch added.

Countryside Label:

Organic Soy-Free Poultry Layer Feed, 50 lb.
With 17% protein, 2% fat, and 8% fiber, our certified soy-free Layer Feed is a complete feed that's supplemented with Thorvin kelp, organic alfalfa, and Fertrell Poultry Nutri-Balancer. It's formulated with additional calcium for egg shell strength and flaxseed to increase the omega-3 content of the eggs. See details for complete ingredient list.

Crude protein, minimum..............................................17.00%
Crude fat, minimum.......................................................2.00%
Crude fiber, maximum...................................................8.00%

INGREDIENTS
Organic Field Peas, Organic Corn, Organic Oats, Organic Wheat, Calcium Carbonate, Fish Meal, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Rice Bran, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Organic Kelp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Yeast Culture, Roughage Product (organic wheat middlings),Organic Sunflower Oil, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite Complex, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus casei, , Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus plantarum, Dried fermentation product of Enterococcus faecium, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus coagulans, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus licheniformis, and Dried fermentation product of Bacillus subtilis.

FEEDING DIRECTIONS
Feed layer ration from 16 weeks of age or first egg
throughout the egg production cycle. Provide plenty of fresh
water.

Certified organic by
Global Organic Alliance, Inc.

Price: $23.50

Back
Top Bottom