Organic Non GMO Wholesome Feed?

I'll have to see where in VA they are located and check them out. I live in Cocke county, TN ( I know, right LOL ) and have to visit Johnson City often, Right there near Gateway City VA. If they are located close I could pop across the line to get it. I really would like to find another animal protein source other than fish meal...but dont see that being an easy task. Not enough space to describe the fish meal thing, google fish meal and omega 6 from corn introduced as a hatchery food. Ideally we want to feed chickens more omega 3's than 6 and the corn fed fish is throwing off their balance. I know, I know....maybe I am just getting way too critical? At least I will get fresh hormone free eggs. I just hate the world has moved so far from what mother nature intended.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:

I know how you feel. Can you free range your chickens? Cause that's pretty close to what Nature intended
smile.png
Then they don't need to eat as much store bought feed.

About the fish meal- I wouldn't worry too much. It's not the main ingredient or anything. And chickens do need some animal protein too (unless they are getting lots of bugs and worms, yum yum)

And thank you Bantyshanty for the source of Organic feed. I think I'm going to order some today (my chickens are worth the extra cost cause I love them so much!
love.gif
)

Quote:
Yes there is, there is a lot of organic, non-GMO soy grown in my area. Our local organic feed mill owners even own an organic soy processing plant:

http://www.cfspecial.com/

Mac,
The CFS feed is great. Do you know anything about the Nature's Grown brand, out of Westby, WI?

Thank you for all of the ideas. I will check them all out.

I know that I just finished reading an article in Hobby Farms magazine by Joel Salatin and he talks about how small scale chicken owners can grow their own amaranth, sunflowers (for the seeds), comfrey, earth worms, and even sprout grains for the main source of their chicken's feed. I think I would love to do that, or at the very least see if I could find a place to purchase bulk amaranth, comfrey, and sunflower seeds from. The sunflower seeds I can get raw and in bulk from here, but the others I would have to ask about. I think worms are easy to harvest around here when it rains, and those would be free. Not sure how much it would cost to get into raising worms for a regular source of feed for chickens.

I thought those were all great ideas though.

I also just finished reading a blog about a woman who feeds her chickens oatmeal with apples in it during the winter months, to help supplement their diets. I am also looking into making our own yogurt in my crockpot so that I could give them yogurt for cheap on a consistent basis (like a few times per week).

Thank you again for all of the ideas. I am definitely checking them all out. I still would love to have organic grain on hand for them to eat at will.

I am in the process of making my own chicken feed. I've purchased seeds, nuts and grains from my local health food store certified organic and nonGMO. I am unable to find cracked corn in that same category to add to my layer feed. My understanding is that GMO seeds have pesticides built right in to them so farmers don't have to add it to their fields or apply less during the growing and harvesting process. Cracked corn is not the major staple in my layer feed and I can't use soy. I've emailed several companies who have not responded or are out of business. I pay a premium for my grocery store so-called "free range" no hormones or antibiotics added eggs and believe the consumers are taken to the cleaners on most foods marked like that. I don't trust the FDA because they allow a certain percentage of unsightly items in most of the foods they approve for our consumption. I wonder what their employees are eating?

I buy organic layer pellets 16% protein to use as a treat for my girls (homemixed feed is the rest). My chicks up to around 6 weeks of age get organic starter/grower feed 20% protein.

I get mine from the feed store.

I feed organic cracked corn in my feed to avoid GMO corn. I buy organic layer and starter to avoid GMO soy.

If there weren't GMO, I could buy regular feed.
sad.png
I live in florence whats the non gmo organic you buy i need to order it too,.

Last edited:
I looked up a local feed from Mcgill Farms but when i tried calling no answer and no return email either . id be buying it like 10 bags at a time since its 1 hr drive for me But well worth it .
i got a letter back from purina today that shocked me .

Back
Top Bottom