Organic, soy-free chicken feed?

Here's the recipe we use on the farm...and I hope the boss lady doesn't mind. I think she'd be happy with me sharing it though.

12 qts. brown rice
12 qts. barley
2 cups fish meal
1 cup brewer's yeast
1 cup kelp (or is it 2?)

and usually some flax seeds, but we've been unable to procure them.

The rice and barley are local, organic. The rice is also like broken, like 1/3 to 1/2 normal size. The other stuff is available at one of the local feed stores.

The chickens are also on grassy pasture and receive lots of black oil sunflower seeds scattered about, as well as free-choice on the oyster shell. We also throw veggies to them...lately I've been tossing entire Romanesco plants for them to skeletonize.

Quote:
I haven't a clue. It wouldn't surprise me if it's kinda low because that's why she gives the black oil sunflower seeds (whole) in addition to this feed. They actually eat a very small amount of this feed, being on the pasture. Only one 3-quart scoop a day for 35 hens.

They told the chiro the other day how he should make sure he gives his kids raw milk and asked if his wife breastfed his kids and for how long. Yes, my kids lectured the chiropractor on nutrition!

OMG!!! I ADORE your children
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hmm... I remember Compuserve rather well...
tongue.png
I also remember "computer rooms" where the servers had dedicated rooms...
big_smile.png

Quote:
And a food budget to show for it with all the goat, lamb, rabbit, etc. in my freezer. These kids make sure I don't try to slip them "store eggs", "store dairy" or "store meat" to try to cut corners with their health (at least, that's what they tell me). They told the chiro the other day how he should make sure he gives his kids raw milk and asked if his wife breastfed his kids and for how long. Yes, my kids lectured the chiropractor on nutrition!

You all are awsome!!!!
Any chance you follow a WAPF type of eating?

Quote:
OMG!!! I ADORE your children
big_smile.png

They are very passionate little people when it comes to food and animals. We've already ordered seeds for our garden this year. They also stole the pickled beets a friend gave me for Christmas. All bets are off when it comes to food around here. I'm going to see how they feel about kimchi next ... maybe this will be their weak spot. [insert evil laugh]
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Not intentionally... I came (back) around to my way of eating by necessity in an attempt to reclaim my health and basically eat the way my great grandmother ate. She lived and worked her own farm until she was well into her 90s. It wasn't until years later when I was trying to find a source for raw dairy here that I came across WAPF and I started reading (and reading and reading) and added a bit more to my repertoire but found that I didn't have to take anything away! My great grandma rocked!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom