Organic vs. regular layer feed

That is not accurate, Hippocrates, the Greek doctor, is the one who named cancer in the first place. Doctors have been able to diagnose cancer for hundreds of years, they just couldn't cure it until recently. As I said, there are many good things about modern medicine--there are good things about all kinds of modern things--but there are also things that are wrong.

Quote:
There is no way you can argue that we are not better at diagnosing cancer now than even 100 years ago. The proof is the amount of cancer that is being found. It may have been discovered by Hippocrates, that doesn't mean its been accurately diagnosed that long. Modern education is way better now and availible to many, many, many, many, many more people.

Back to Organic vs regular layer feed.

I have a friend who is certified organic. She has to keep her chickens enclosed so that they don't get into anything not organic on their small farm. She ordered in her special blended organic feed earlier this spring and it cost her over $700 for the truckload. Her egg count started dropping and at first she credited it to 'old hens' but when it got down to only 6 eggs a week she looked into the feed. There wasn't enough protein in it for the poor girls to make eggs. So - just ordering specially made organic feed doesn't equal good feed. No matter what you feed you need to watch the ingredients.

Considering that folks are becoming more concerned about soy in the feed, I was surprised to learn from her that soybeans are not just used in regular feed. I had assumed that 'organic' would also be non-soy since the term is thought to equal 'healthy' by so many. She found out from her feed source that they were out of soy which is their main protein ingredient and sent her an organic mix of grains that they had on hand. For $700!!! I don't think so. When you pay that kind of money I'd expect a balanced mix.

We feed our chickens very little processed feed, it sounds like most of you on this thread rely on processed feed if its organic or not organic. We have never had a sick chicken and they produce lots of quality eggs, my wife doesn't believe in commerical feed from a processing plant.

Last edited:
I accidentally bought some organic processed feed a while back. I much prefer the organic whole grains that I usually buy. I like to have some idea of what exactly they are eating. The ash grey processed stuff scares the heck out of me.

Back
Top Bottom