Organically Raised - Hatched at our farm - Local to Colorado Chicks for Sale

If you have purchased shipped chicks, what percentage died within the 1st week?

• Total voters

Venumfire

Songster
7 Years
May 20, 2016
Colorado
We do not consider it humane to ship day old chicks (just because 50-80% can make it without dying doesn't make it right). Shipping fertile eggs is the best way to get the breeds you want from a reputable breeder. To adopt one of our treasured girls, you will need to take a fun trip to our farm in Colorado. We believe in breeding for quality traits and not for quantity. There is a huge genetic and raising difference from our girls and a hatchery/feed store chick.

We know how important accurate sexing is to those that live in the city. Considering sexing of breeds varies in accuracy, we guarantee any of our chicks sold as females and offer exchange credit if the chick you hand selected ends up being a rooster. This takes the stress out of having to find a feedstore/hatchery rooster a new home.

We have been blessed in meeting hundreds of families that come to our farm to begin their chicken addiction with our little girls. We are currently raising the following breeds:
Speckled Sussex
Rhode Island Red
Barred Plymouth Rock
Amerucana ( Blue , Splash , Black)
Easter Egger
Olive Egger ( ranges from F1 first gen to 10th generation)
Brahma (Blue Partridge , Black Partridge)
Silkies (Beareded and non-bearded , sizzle, black , white , Blue , Buff , Partridge)
Cream Legbar
Isbar (black , blue , splash)
Bresse (Black , White , Blue, Splash)
Black French Copper Marans ( show quality feathering and egg color)
Bielefelder
Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben (golden, silver)
Polish (frizzle, white crested blue, White crested black, Golden Laced, Silver Laced, Buff Laced, tolbult)
Ayam Cemani
Salmon Faverolle
Wyandotte (Blue Laced Red, Golden Laced, Silver laced)

You can check availability and hatching schedule at: www.serenitysprouts.com
You may reserve online and pick up or we accept cash payment if you want to pay in person

You will notice the value of our girls are significantly higher than a local feed store or hatchery. In order to raise them right and breed for quality traits, our price reflects this. While the 'sticker' price for hatchery/ feed store birds may be attractive, take into consideration the number of casualties in the first week, number of female chicks that end up being roosters, genetic defects, aggressive pecking, and other genetic behavior problems.

How we raise our chickens:
Meet the Parents? We maintain most of our parent stock on site at our farm. To maintain diversity and benefitting from top breeders in our nation, we obtain some of our hatching eggs from reputable breeders that we have established trusting relationships with. We breed to improve specific traits such as confirmation, color, egg color , feathering, natural strong immune systems, personality, and temperaments.

Living conditions? You will notice our good flock management immediately when one of our pasture raised girls or roosters greet you. When mating, we do provide large sectioned off runs to ensure breed purity with ample coop space. We ensure our chickens have clean water, dry mulch, straw and herbs in nesting boxes, free choice sand boxes for dust bathing, free choice oyster shells and egg shells for calcium, forage on herbs and compost, and feed organic sprouts and fermented feed.

Hatching Methods depend on weather and if the hens are broody. When weather permits, you will find a few of our hens hatching their eggs naturally. We also have a climate controlled incubator to ensure eggs develop in the right environment of heat and humidity.

Newborn chicks are gently handled with individual love when moved from an incubator to a heat controlled brooder. We Individually inspect for health and introduced to water with molasses. Our brooders are never overcrowded and there is no need for vaccinations as immune system strength is passed on through genetics and living conditions are excellent. They have free choice of freshly ground organic grains, seeds, grit, and herbs. There is significant growth from day 1 to day 2 and no stress from being moved.

During the first week, they continue growing in a comfortable environment eating organic food, fed herbs that provide specific health benefits to the chick’s development. Individually they are inspected for health and we address an occasional pasty butt. Their brooder is cleaned daily. The chicks will thrive well and able to reduce from 95 degrees to 90 degrees in brooder.

At 5 weeks of age, the pullets are fully feathered and mature enough to go outside providing temperature is above freezing.

Some of the advantages of purchasing chicks from us versus a hatchery / feed store include:
· Lower cost to maintain bird health
· Breed conformity to competitive standards
· Longer life providing similar care is provided in new home
· Organic farm fresh eggs
· Stronger Immune System
· Emotional – Less chance of having to experience death of your pet
· Average life of the hen is 10 years
· We provide support and tips from our experience
· We guaranteed sexing, even professional sexers can be up to 20% inaccurate. Hatcheries do not offer rooster returns. The rare feed stores that take back roosters charge you for their error.

· Humane care and harvesting of roosters

The reality is that 50% of chicks born will be roosters and cities do not allow them. Our chickens are given a nice natural life on our homestead. We complete the life cycle by humanely harvesting food for our family rather than funding factory farms and plastic wrapped inferior counterparts at the grocery store.

Last edited:
I have been to your farm personally to pick up eggs. I was told that they were basically barnyard mix chickens. When asked about the parents I was told they have no idea. I had a great hatch rate from my eggs so I am satisfied with my purchase. However, I am disappointed that I wasn't able or given the option to purchase purebread chicks or eggs as this post is claiming you provide. I gladly would've spent more to get purebred eggs.

Thank you for your thoughts. We currently only offer hatching eggs as a random mix and let families select by egg color. We do offer purebred chicks that we hatch.

We believe in letting our girls free range as much as possible. We only pen them when we are breeding for purity. Otherwise they free range which allows us to offer gorgeous eggs as fertile mixes. We rotate which breeds we are breeding for purity versus which ones are free ranging. Since fertility can last for a month, the eggs from the girls for the first month are sold as mixes and we collect the 2nd month's eggs to hatch and offer as baby chicks. If breed purity is important, we do offer chicks with guaranteed breed purity. However, we only sell our fertile eggs as an assorted mix of both pure and random mixed breeds.

I appreciate your feedback on desiring pure bred hatching eggs. We mostly offer the eggs for school teachers that want a high variety to share with their class. While we are currently focused on hatching chicks, we will update our website once we consistently have enough left over pure breed eggs to offer for sale. I do not forecast this being the case this year.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts. We currently only offer hatching eggs as a random mix and let families select by egg color. We do offer purebred chicks that we hatch. We like our girls to free range as much as possible. We only pen them only when we are breeding for purity. Otherwise they free range which allows us to offer gorgeous eggs as fertile mixes. If breed purity is important, we do offer chicks with guaranteed breed purity. However, we only sell our fertile eggs as an assorted mix of both pure and random mixed breeds.
So in other words you cannot purchase purebred eggs only chicks? Just a bummer. I would've gladly picked up purebred chicks (which I was never offered) as well, seeing as how I drove about 8+ hours to travel to your establishment.

Back
Top Bottom