Organizing hatched chicks

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
I have finally got my OUTSIDE brooder set up so that I don't have to have chicks in the house anymore. I have a 4 x 4 pen wrapped in plastic with DEEP shavings and lots of heat.

Everyone is doing well and they've been out there for a month and I keep adding more as I go. As I look in there and see close to 50 chicks running around I realize I need a better identification system....right now I look at them and go "ummmmm I think this is a such and such chick". It hasn't been a problem because most of what I have I'm keeping until they are grown or mostly grown then choosing out the best.

Now I've got about 15 pullets to sell and need to make sure the barred rocks(for sale) don't get mixed up with my cuckoo marans(keeping). The only thing I could think of was fingernail polish on their feet....so I have about 15 running around with a purple foot. LOL

I will need something more permenant. Using zip ties isn't going to work because I don't have time to chase down 50 chicks a month and replace those suckers.

So what are my choices? Toe punch? Another type of Band? HELP Please !! LOL

Back
Top Bottom