Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Sep 2, 2011.

1. SD_Paulo

SD_Paulo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    I have included two head studies of my Ko stags. I hope this will give the viewer a glimpse of the differences in the two lines.

There are a few varities of Ko in Japan but state side, to the best of my knowledge, research and verbal conversations, this are two founding lines on this side of the drink.

Belgium line:
    [​IMG]
    German line:
    [​IMG]

2. SD_Paulo

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    I have included two head studies of my Ko stags. I hope this will give the viewer a glimpse of the differences in the two lines.

There are a few varities of Ko in Japan but state side, to the best of my knowledge, research and verbal conversations, this are two founding lines on this side of the drink.

Belgium line:

[​IMG]

German line:

[​IMG]

3. supaflyz

supaflyz Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2012
    german line looks nicer to me

4. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Is anyone breeding Tuzos? I lost my last hen to a fox a few months ago. They were absolutely fearless and that was their downfall. They would try to take on ANYTHING (except for people). The hen repeatedly challenged my Malgache hen who would ignore her because she was too small to bother with. One day I watched her leap up and get a beak hold onto the Malgache's face. She hung on and went on one wild ride. No doubt she went right up to the fox.

5. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    [​IMG]
    I have been told she was a cobra asil and i have been told she is a viper asil. So which is she lol? And i know that the picture isn't the best becasue she is not standing as straight as i would like her to be she is squatting down. lol

6. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Hi, how do the shamo and thai compare in temperment, laying, size, hardyness ect. I'm thinking about maybe getting one of those breeds.

thanks.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Neither breed is fun for the novice. Neither play well with others. They are not great layers, about one medium sized egg every other day. Both are hardy compared to other barnyard types. The O Shamo is usually 10-12 lbs and the Thai is somewhat smaller, depending on the strain. Males cannot be kept with other males, period........Pop

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Does that include males of other species? I was thinking of getting a pair of shamo. I only would have 3 other chickens besides them (all hens). But I also have a turkey pair, a goose, and quite a few ducks and was wondering if there would be conflicts with them?

9. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    If you just have a few chickens as a hobby, and aren't used to dealing with gamefowl, wouldn't recommend them. If you get quality fowl, both the hens and cocks will cause you problems. Also, different breed makes no difference when it comes to fighting problems, especially if penned together where the other bird can't get away from it. The hens can be just as bad as the cocks too.

10. SD_Paulo

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    [​IMG]
    They both have there good, the bad and ugly. So for now I a going to keep them straight and also run across of the line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by