Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I have seen the curled toes caused by incubating problems more often that by genetics. I had a cockbird some years back i bought with curled toes. Hatched several dozen from him and not one curled toe in the bunch.

The way the toes are curled on that cock indicates to me that the problem originates somewhere up in the hocks or thighs. As the hocks rotate inwards, it causes the bird to walk on the outer edges of the middle toe and shank instead of centered on the ball of the foot. It creates the knuckling action that you see. After awhile, the tendons contract and the toes are permanently curled inward. It can be bred out after a couple of generations. It's unsightly but it doesn't seem to impair them at all.

Last edited:
I really doesn't matter what caused the curled toes, could be either. What matters is you cull those either way when you see em right from the get go. ;)

Just thought I would through in a pic. of my white Sonatals, They will be 4 months on the 20th of this month & he is already crowing, love em !!

Last edited:
Just thought I would through in a pic. of my white Sonatals, They will be 4 months on the 20th of this month & he is already crowing, love em !!
Nice looking birds!!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom