Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

CIMG1989.jpg
CIMG1988.jpg
Took some pictures of this guy today.

Yeah, I have Shamo, Thai, Brazilian, Kulang Asil eggs ready
Nice.... maybe further down the road I will look into your chickens. Right now, I'm trying to get my hen to lay but she hasn't laid any, is it a bit too late in the year now for eggs? My hen is about close to a year old and so is my rooster, do you think they are just too young? What kind of feed do you give your hens for egg production?

They should be laying good at that age. A 16% lay pellet, no corn or scratch, is perfect, or what I do is half whole corn, half 22% laying pellets. This about 15 protein. Check for external parasites, and deworm. Also, if you have only the two birds in the pen, separate them for a bit, as the rooster can be too sexually aggressive. If she has no back feathers,it is a clue to this behavior.

They should be laying good at that age. A 16% lay pellet, no corn or scratch, is perfect, or what I do is half whole corn, half 22% laying pellets. This about 15 protein. Check for external parasites, and deworm. Also, if you have only the two birds in the pen, separate them for a bit, as the rooster can be too sexually aggressive. If she has no back feathers,it is a clue to this behavior.
Every time I go in the pen to change feed and water my rooster will go and mount the hen....... not sure if it happens that often, but every time I'm in there he does it. The feathers on the back of the hen's head is not too bad though so I'll just keep them together as it is right now. This is my first time trying to breed chickens, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it's been a few months now and still no eggs to speak of. I was thinking maybe it's the wrong time of the year for Oriental Gamefowls to produce eggs but apparently people are still selling eggs.

BTW, do people who buy your eggs sometimes send you picture updates of how the chickens turn out? And if so, are you happy with the offspring?

Sometimes my late summer early fall hatches do better. Early summer hatches game up and have to be separated for winter, but the late ones can be left together with the hen if she doesn't start laying again and get ornery. It is easier on them if they can huddle up a little when it gets cold. Seems like the cold weather holds them back a little on gaming up, too, and you can wait until nearer spring to separate without having to have such lavish accommodations for the bitter cold. Always watch them, there are always exceptions, and you have to split them up when things get real.

Back
Top Bottom