Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Pics

Gresh

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
North Carolina
Hey, everyone. This thread is for discussing and posting pictures of any of the Oriental (Asian) gamefowl breeds, or breeds with defined gamefowl ancestry. Here are some common ones:

List of Orientals:
1. Asil
2. Malay
3. Thai
4. Shamo
5. Saipan
6. Madagascar
7. Satsumadori

List of Breeds with Defined Oriental Heritage:
1. Russian Orloff
2. Kraienkoppe
3. Cornish
4. Cubalaya

Of course, these are not all the breeds, but they are some of the more common ones that I hear of. Please note that this thread is ONLY for Orientals/breeds with Oriental ancestry!

Happy posting, and please post lots of pictures.

Last edited:
There are several oriental fowl fanciers on here, I am sure they will join in. I am fairly new to orientals, but very much enamored by them. I am working on brazilians myself. They are a breed that was created and perfected quite a while back. They are a combination of Shamo, Thai and Spanish Fowl. Some have Asil in them as well. I am very small time with them, keeping a dozen or so at the moment.

Some young ones from this year.
herbs_two.JPG

white_gold.JPG

white_gold2.JPG

black_white2.JPG

blue_red.JPG

golden21.JPG

A couple young ones I picked up this year, for next year.

cuzz2.JPG

buzz5.JPG

A few adult breeders.
golden2.JPG

Last years pullet. I will get better pics of her later, she is a little rough from the breeding pen at the moment.
golden_stag.JPG

Last years stag. Going to use him next year.

Here is a bird that isnt mine. I used him for a short time, he belongs to a friend from Arkansas.
Braz_Stag2.JPG

Quote:
Whoa, great lookin' birds! I especially like the stags. Unique colors on both. Like the one you borrowed from your friend the best. What color pattern do you call yours--is it Crele, or something? Thanks for sharing them!
wink.png

I love these birds!! I'll be following this thread, and hopefully learning a lot as well. Ive got one amazing black Shamo. Well, amazing personality, shes from a hatchery, but shes probably my favorite chicken.
GotGame, those are really good looking birds!!

Curious, is your hatchery Shamo very big? Does she still have an intelligent, gamey personality? Do you think she's purebred? I've always been curious how much hatcheries have changed Gamefowl if much at all. (I'd assume quite a bit though)

This is my current Shamo pair.

6075542648_307c727e03_z.jpg

6075004131_d6fcbc049e_z.jpg

6075541934_352db4542b_z.jpg

Quote:
Whoa, great lookin' birds! I especially like the stags. Unique colors on both. Like the one you borrowed from your friend the best. What color pattern do you call yours--is it Crele, or something? Thanks for sharing them!
wink.png

Thanks. Ya, I like both stags. The one that is barred is golden dom, as he is all gold/pumpkin. He has a very clear, clean golden barring, just the flash on my camera blurred him. He started a hard molt right after that pic was taken, so it will be a bit before I can get better pictures of him, he looks better now. The one of my buddies is a nice bird, but bigger than I want. He is 9lb at 10 months old. The youngest chicks you see are out of a small hen and my buddies bird though
smile.png

Last edited:
If I ever get done building teepees and pens for some of the young fowl running in the pastures. I need to take some new pics of some of mine. It would help is a dayluge of rain has not turned some pens and pastures into mudville.

gotgame I can't see the pic's?
barnie.gif

pride&joy :

If I ever get done building teepees and pens for some of the young fowl running in the pastures. I need to take some new pics of some of mine. It would help is a dayluge of rain has not turned some pens and pastures into mudville.

gotgame I can't see the pic's?
barnie.gif

You cant see them? What are you seeing?​

I think this is probably the prettiest bird I have had on the place. I regret letting go of him. He was 1/2 Brazilian, 1/2 Saipan.
63027_braz-saipan2.jpg

63027_braz-saipan.jpg

This bird does NOT belong to me, but is the daddy to the above bird and a couple I have here, as well as being behind most of my birds I have. He belongs to richard besser of tulsa. But is absolutely gorgeous nonetheless.
63027_golden_cock2.jpg

63027_golden_cock.jpg

Quote:
Ilia-I got some of Ideal's orientals last spring, just a few to check them out. I'll give you my results.

Asil- Good points-pearl eye, square shanks, very meaty build.
Bad points- white earlobes, very high tail, soft feathered, flighty.
It obviously had some asil blood in there somewhere.....Reminded me alot of an asil/American grade, but probably was not that...

Thai- Good points- no wattles, correct size and build, correct angle of body, tail correct, intelligent, personable, somewhat hard feathered, multiple spurs.
Bad points- Red or black eyes, not hard feathered enough to be pure.
Overall, these were not so bad. They could have been sumatra x cornish crosses, but, there was some sort of oriental blood in there somewhere, as they were partly hard feathered.

Shamo- Good points- Extremely hard feathered, very upright stance, very leggy, long necks, etc. No wattles.
Bad points- Red eyes, scrawny, not large enough by far, tail angle very upright.
Overall, it reminded me of a pea combed modern game-that is exactly what it looked like.

We ate the asil and the shamo, the asil was really meaty, the shamo was the skinniest thing I've ever seen. The thai was a female, she was kept, and has been an excellent layer of large brown eggs.

A pic of the Thai-

42987_220.jpg

Back
Top Bottom