Original Recipe for Ybor City Deviled Crab

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
Croquette Dough:
3 loaves Stale American Bread (I like wheat)
1 loaf stale cuban bread (grind very fine/sift) (you can use a crusty bread)
1 level teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon salt

Remove crust from American Bread and discard crust. Soak remainder of bread in water for 15 minutes. Drain water and squeeze until almost dry. Add sifted cuban bread crumbs gradually until you have dough. Add paprika, salt and mix thoroughly. Form dough into ball and put in refrigerator for approximately 2 hours.

Crab Meat filling:
5 Tablespoons oil 2 Bay Leaves
3 onions, finely chopped 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper 1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 pound fresh crab meat , picked over and shredded
3 cloves garlic minced

Cracker Meal
Flour
Beaten Eggs
Milk
salt
pepper

Fry very slowly in oil, onions, green pepper, red hot pepper, garlic for 15 minutes. Add Bay leaves, sugar, salt and tomato paste. Stir then cover and cook 15 minutes on low heat. Add crab meat and cook 10 minutes, uncover put on platter in refrigerator for 2 hours.

Take about 3 tablespoons of the bread dough and press in your hand, put a tablespoon of crab filling on dough, then seal like a croquette with 2 pointed ends. Dip into the following mixture : 2 Beaten eggs with 1/2 cup milk. salt and dash of black pepper. Mix 1 cup cracker meal and 1/2 cup flour. Roll croquettes first in cracker/flour mix, then in the eggs and again in cracker/flour mix. Put in refrigerator for 2 hours. Fry in deep fat until brown.

We have used 1/2 real crab and 1/2 imitation to save cost.
Also once fried you can freeze and heat in the microwave or oven.

ENJOY!!!!

Thanks for posting this; I'll have to try it out this weekend! I"ve never seen a crab cake recipe with tomato sauce in it before. Must be the 'secret ingredient', lol!
About how many does your recipe make?

Depends on how big you make the croquettes, mama and I make them good size and I think we got 18 or more. I try to make them and keep them in the freezer for quick meals.

Back
Top Bottom