orloffer's Coturnix Quail Project

Another egg was taken out of the incubator today because I found a crack. This was the second of the three eggs that did not fit in the tray and were just squeezed in on the side. Unlike the first one to be removed, this one was fertile and had a 7.5 day old embryo in it. :eek:It was probably alive when I took it out, but I don't believe it would have continued to develop much longer. I currently have it suspended in water so I can examine it more closely. Pictures coming soon.
For those of you who wish to see the embryo, here are a couple pictures. I cut it from the yolk:
1625353920694.png

1625353652032.png

Look at the huge eyes! And there are little wings and feet, and the beginning of a beak. The feet have tiny transparent toes that are hard to see in the images.
1625353691378.png

Sounds like your incubating temperature was a bit high. I look forward to seeing the chicks!
Are there negative impacts to having the temperature be too high?

It is hard for me to tell the temperature in there because I don't trust the thermometers. The incubator itself read 37.5 degrees C the whole time, while the two thermometers/hygrometers fluctuated between 95.5 and 102 degrees F). The hygrometers aren't even remotely reading the same number either. Earlier, one said 58 while the other was in the low seventies.

One of the celadon eggs is starting to unzip, and very rapidly too! It was just one little crack about 5 minutes ago. There are now a couple more new pips, and a hear some tiny chirps. Hoping for the best in terms of their health, given the somewhat unstable temp and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom