orloffer's Coturnix Quail Project

It finally happened!!! I changed their feed and BAM! Two eggs!
And yes, I absolutely did find a baby frying pan to cook them. lol!

9-23-21 (1).JPG
9-23-21 (2).JPG

It's been a little while since I last updated.
I culled the most aggressive male today, and while I considered doing a couple more, I didn't see any aggressive behavior out of any of the rest, so I decided not to, at least for now.
This is the one that was removed.
1634085061511.png

It's been a little while since I last updated.
I culled the most aggressive male today, and while I considered doing a couple more, I didn't see any aggressive behavior out of any of the rest, so I decided not to, at least for now.
This is the one that was removed.
View attachment 2864066
He was pretty. Too bad he was aggressive. It's funny, but usually my silver ones are the ones getting beaten up, not the aggressors.

He was pretty. Too bad he was aggressive. It's funny, but usually my silver ones are the ones getting beaten up, not the aggressors.
Agreed, my silvers are usually big dumb fatties, who happily laze around with anyone, my scarlets and rosettas are the edgy ones, who hate others for seemingly no reason. My blue from k dale only mates dark birds, and he attacked my Italian .

Yes, he was pretty, and I regretted having to remove him. Unfortunately he was always going after all the other quail and stirring up trouble. That's interesting about your silvers tending to be less aggressive than some of the other colors.

The one that had its head stuck seems to have something sticking out of (possibly) its vent that is large and pink and squishy-looking. What is this? Does it need to be culled?View attachment 2756789View attachment 2756790
I know that this chick has already died, but if you do happen come across this again, you may want to know how to treat it. Your chick had a infected yolk sack otherwise known as 'mushy chick disease'. It happens when a chick hatches too early. This is a good article here on BYC about treating it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom