orloffer's Spoo Puppy thread! šŸ©

We got the harness on her this morning, but when I attached the leash she just wouldn't stop biting it, and every time I pulled it out of her mouth she reached around and grabbed it again right away. I tried distracting with food and toys, but she seemed to prefer the leash to both.

We also put her in the stroller and attached her harness to the cable inside (we didn't close the stroller). She wasn't very happy with that and unfortunately the cable is long enough so that she can partially climb out and be pulled by the harness. I don't want her to have a bad association with the stroller but if we don't get her in there we can't start taking her outside on walks in it for socialization.

Also this morning the puppy spent about 10 minutes barking and yelping. I thought another family member was doing separation training with her, but in reality they had left the house on an errand (while the puppy was sleeping) and the puppy was all alone rehearsing this unwanted behavior. :mad:

As you can tell I am a bit irritated with her this morning, even though I know all her behaviors are typical puppy behaviors.

puppy was all alone rehearsing this unwanted behavior. :mad:
I wouldn't consider it rehearsing unwanted behavior. That's actually what you want- if she's barking and gets no attention, she'll eventually figure out that it won't do anything. Barking with no reward is what you want.

I wouldn't consider it rehearsing unwanted behavior. That's actually what you want- if she's barking and gets no attention, she'll eventually figure out that it won't do anything. Barking with no reward is what you want.
Eventually she did get attention though; I went to go see why she was barking so much and then let her out to go outside. Plus there were a few several-second breaks in her barking where it probably would have been good to tell her she was doing the right thing, but no one was there to do so.

To me it makes sense that no barking = no attention could train her that barking doesn't work, but I have also head that barking is self-reinforcing and that letting her rehearse any behavior (whether good or bad) makes the behavior more likely to happen in the future. (??)

Eventually she did get attention though; I went to go see why she was barking so much and then let her out to go outside. Plus there were a few several-second breaks in her barking where it probably would have been good to tell her she was doing the right thing, but no one was there to do so.

To me it makes sense that no barking = no attention could train her that barking doesn't work, but I have also head that barking is self-reinforcing and that letting her rehearse any behavior (whether good or bad) makes the behavior more likely to happen in the future. (??)
I haven't heard that, but Idk :confused: To me, it seems like the only way to actually STOP the barking would be using aversive methods like hitting the dog (obviously unacceptable) or using a shock collar (completely unacceptable on a puppy). If you yell at them to stop, they'll think that you're barking with them and bark more. I suppose that you COULD try a squirt gun, but it still doesn't seem like a god plan with a puppy this young.

Poodles aren't very barky. Its a puppy thing and she'll grow out of it. Just continue to ignore it. She just wants your attention. If she learns that she only gets attention when she's quiet and calm, she'll stop barking

Ok

Not teaching her how to be alone is probably going to create worse issues than letting her cry it out occasionally. Gonna end up with some bad separation anxiety if you don't start teaching her being alone is okay.

As far as the potty thing you really want to anticipate her. You should be taking her out to potty before she starts crying to go. Set a timer on your phone and bring her out. Especially after eating, drinking, playing and napping. If she is napping when it's time to go potty then wake her up and bring her out.

Back
Top Bottom