orloffer's Spoo Puppy thread! šŸ©

Finn had a bath today but I don't have the courage to clip his nails, so we're in the same boat here lol
We probably need to bathe Tessa soon. Any tips/recommendations? Also, we got a force air dryer, but it is going to be really loud and I am not sure if it would be good to make her go through that experience after the experience of having a bath. Should we work on desensitization to the dryer first?

We probably need to bathe Tessa soon. Any tips/recommendations? Also, we got a force air dryer, but it is going to be really loud and I am not sure if it would be good to make her go through that experience after the experience of having a bath. Should we work on desensitization to the dryer first?
I don't know what to do with the curly coat, so I don't know if the dryer is necessary or not. If it is necessary, you should desensitize her to it first. Do it the same way that you would use loud appliances- have it on in another room, then with her in the room with treas, then near her with treats, then blowing her with LOTS of treats. Make sure that the water is warm but not hot, or at room temperature so that it's not to shocking. Allow her to sniff and look at wherever the water is coming from (sprayer, cup pouring it, etc) and give her treats while she's getting wet. Keep whatever's putting the water on her close- don't spray or pour from far away so that there isn't too much scary water moving around. We didn't do Finn's head today. Don't let her jump out of the tub while you're bathing her. It'll be easier to bathe her if you have one person in the tub doing the water, and one person giving treats. Finn liked his shampoo massage much better than the sprayer. The whole time through, talk in a calm voice and tell her what a good girl she is.

:thumbsup
The barking when seeing certain family members is a bit alarming. When she sees the youngest member in the family (12), she chases them, barks, jumps around, and tries to nip them.
That's just her trying to communicate that she wants to play, and is excited. If they are running away from her, they're encouraging the chasing, and she sees it as a game. Instruct them not to run away, and if she jumps or nips, have them leave the room and close the door or baby gate so that she can't follow. She'll soon understand that jumping and nipping=my person goes away.

I don't know what to do with the curly coat, so I don't know if the dryer is necessary or not. If it is necessary, you should desensitize her to it first. Do it the same way that you would use loud appliances- have it on in another room, then with her in the room with treas, then near her with treats, then blowing her with LOTS of treats. Make sure that the water is warm but not hot, or at room temperature so that it's not to shocking. Allow her to sniff and look at wherever the water is coming from (sprayer, cup pouring it, etc) and give her treats while she's getting wet. Keep whatever's putting the water on her close- don't spray or pour from far away so that there isn't too much scary water moving around. We didn't do Finn's head today. Don't let her jump out of the tub while you're bathing her. It'll be easier to bathe her if you have one person in the tub doing the water, and one person giving treats. Finn liked his shampoo massage much better than the sprayer. The whole time through, talk in a calm voice and tell her what a good girl she is.
:thumbsupThank you for the advice!

We are getting a new spoo food to transition Tessa to when she finishes her current food! I did quite a bit of research and found a few different dry foods that don't have any ingredients I consider "bad." We will be rotating through all of them over time to give her variety.

We are getting a new spoo food to transition Tessa to when she finishes her current food! I did quite a bit of research and found a few different dry foods that don't have any ingredients I consider "bad." We will be rotating through all of them over time to give her variety.
We got several new foods to try (not all at once, of course). Open Farms Harvest Chicken and Ancient Grains, Open Farms Turkey and Ancient Grains, Nature's Logic Distinction Pork, and Nature's Logic Distinction Beef. No wheat, corn, soy, potato, legumes, or peas. :)

I just gave Tessa the spoo a bully stick in a West Paw Quizl toy. Happy to say she likes it a lot, and I hope it'll last a while and keep her from barking and getting upset when not getting attention from us. It is a pretty hard chew for puppy teeth, so I'll be monitoring her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom