Orphaned baby duck

shadyblue

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2023
Hi all! I work at a vet hospital for cats and dogs and we had a woman come in with an orphaned baby duck. I have had experience raising ducks but this was 8 years ago. I already called wildlife rehab but they said they couldn't take it in and gave me some resources for taking care of it on my own.

That being said, I'm nervous because my coworker is sort of freaking me out. She told me that baby ducks will die if they are by themselves but I had a loner that did fine. My question is if this is true and how do i go about finding him a friend? I'm also unsure as to what breed, gender, or even age this baby is. It seems pretty young.

My last question is that I've heard the little guy sneezing a couple of times. Not excessively - not sure if he is sick but he's rather energetic and is a huuuuuge cuddler. Not sure if this is normal either - my ducks used to bite and nibble me. I'll upload a picture and get a weight on the baby during my lunch break but I wanted to start with all of this first - thank you in advance!

TSC May still have ducklings. Also you can provide a mirror so it an see it self that can help till you find it a friend. Just make sure the mirror can’t fall over on it. Please post a picture and we can help you with breed. Have you been feeding the duckling and giving water. Starter can be dusty so you want to make sure the duckling can dunk its head to clean its eyes and nares. Something like in this picture that.
IMG_2115.jpeg
it can dunk its head but can’t crawl in and drown. Also the duckling will need warmth.

Back
Top Bottom