Orphaned Opossum

Now i want one!!
love.gif
..*and trust me, i never thought i'd say that...*
hmm.png

I raised them before and gave puppy formula. Ebsilac puppy formula with an eye dropper or syringe was advised by the rehabber.

Now, after losing approximately half of my flock...I would have just kept the ones I had raised as pets. The female would have been killed...she was EVIL. The male was a sweet little lap-dog. She used him as an ambassador for her rehabilitation facility.

If I saw one now...I'd probably just move on without bothering to help. I may have become a "bit" cold-hearted due to the death of the birds in my flock..

Oh! That baby is darling! You must have done something right because it's chubby!
Thanks for all of the help everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions as different things come up.
He ate again, from the syringe. He wasn't interested in the moist puppy food. He walked through it a couple of times and watched a special needs kitten I have here eat it. He likes the kitten and the kitten likes him. It kept going into the possums cage and laying down so I put the possum in with it and it snuggled up to the kitten. I won't leave them alone together, but I have the feeling that these two will end up friends.
The kitten was born in a horse stable from a feral mother. The mother and the litter took off when the kittens were old enough but this one stayed behind. His two front legs are deformed and they didn't want to leave him alone in the barn because he would have a hard time defending himself, or even running away. So he ended up here. He is the coolest kitten we ever had and very smart...scary smart even.
rodriguez, I'm so sorry you lost so many of your birds to possums.
Thanks again! I'll keep you posted.

You need to start introducing him to other foods as well as his formula. When the mother is resting the babies get off to forage and explore and get back on when mom is ready to get going.

Start with a little yogurt. Fruit flavored yogurt is OK.

All fruit needs to be cut up on introduction. Grapes, any kind of berry, apples, pears, plums - just about anything except citrus.

mealworms, crickets, fish, dare I say it - chicken and eggs

kale, brocolli, green beans, cauliflower, squash, sweet potato, etc

I have a pet possum named Golum. She is very sweet. I kept her because she was very ill when small and she was handled too much and won't run from anything.

Here is a pic of Selena, one of our babies.
smile.png
She is a bit overweight and has had her meals cut back a bit and is being encouraged to get more exercise.
smile.png
she loves her blankets. Such a sweet girl.
smile.png

7091_selena.jpg

Quote:
lol.png
I am impressed! She is even more portly than my possum! I think because they have such slow metabolisms it is really easy to fatten them up. Kind of like me.

Possums are so horrible to chickens as preditors down here in TX. It just goes to show you how awesome chicken people are... they care for all wild life. Anyone currently nursing a chicken hawk....?

Thanks, I will pick up yogurt and some fruits today. I have plenty of veggies in the garden. I can send the grandkids out to look for crickets. I read online to offer over ripened fruit.
He still isn't showing any interest in the moistened puppy chow. But, the kitten was drinking some of the possums milk out of a saucer and he walked over and started lapping some up on his own. I think this kitten is going to be a big help in raising him.
I was reading online that an injectible wormer is the best to use for possums. I can't remember the name right now. What do those of you that have possums worm with?
I wonder if they can get puppy or kitten shots for distemper and such?
I think I should get him eating good (solid food) before I go worming or vaccinating him. What do you think?
He looks real healthy. I checked him with a good light and magnifying glass and didn't see and mites or fleas. His eyes look good and he is active when awake. Not real scared of anything.
He likes to sit on the back of my neck and hold onto my hair. I read that is pretty normal behavior for them.
I really appreciate the input here. I have rehabbed raccoons, birds, orphaned kittens, pups...all kinds of animals but this is a first for me.
Selena looks very content. Is she litterbox trained? Is paper or litterbox training hard to do?
I was thinking about making a tall kitty condo with a nesting area at the top and keeping a litter box at the bottom. Think that would work?
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom