Orphaned Opossum

Quote:
Actually, opossums are EXTREMELY resistant to rabies. It's not impossible for them to carry rabies, just highly unlikely. You are much more likely to pick up a rabid puppy than a rabid opposum.
old.gif

Quote:
While I know what you are saying, more chickens are likely killed and mauled by dogs than wild predators like an opossum. They are more scavengers than 'hunters'. Just as with a dog or pet ferret(weasel) you wouldn't take them to the chicken coop and turn them loose. I feed my dogs eggs and they love them, but they can't get in the coop and eat eggs from the nest. LOL

Opossums rarely ever carry rabies, which is rather a cool fact, they have a resistance to the virus. Perhaps scientists should look further into it, although I think it's less to do with the immune system and more to do with the metabolism and body temperature.

Many pet opossums are very well fed, so they aren't always hunting for a meal. I can see a tame, well fed opossums doing very well around chickens, but that's just me.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
While I know what you are saying, more chickens are likely killed and mauled by dogs than wild predators like an opossum. They are more scavengers than 'hunters'. Just as with a dog or pet ferret(weasel) you wouldn't take them to the chicken coop and turn them loose. I feed my dogs eggs and they love them, but they can't get in the coop and eat eggs from the nest. LOL

Opossums rarely ever carry rabies, which is rather a cool fact, they have a resistance to the virus. Perhaps scientists should look further into it, although I think it's less to do with the immune system and more to do with the metabolism and body temperature.

Many pet opossums are very well fed, so they aren't always hunting for a meal. I can see a tame, well fed opossums doing very well around chickens, but that's just me.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Oh, Terri, she is cute! What do you feed her? I'm not sure what to feed them as adults to keep them healthy. I have been giving Shnibber a buffet to keep the bases covered. He gets yogurt, applesauce, cat food, raw hamburger, bugs, apples, bananas, any overripe fruit I have and hard boiled eggs with the shells still on. I just give him a little of all of the above.
On rabies, I was concerned about that when hubby first brought him home. When I did research on them I found possums body temp is too low for them to be a good host to rabies. Like Kim said, it's very unusual for them to carry rabies.
I wouldn't take him out to the barn around the chickens. I do let him out in the yard to dig for grubs and worms, but I stay right with him and he doesn't try to run off. In fact he kept busy digging around in the garden for a whole afternoon while I was cleaning it out for the winter. He finally crawled up on a pile of mulch and napped in the sun while I worked.
They are gross looking in the wild...or in garbage cans. But he is very clean and has no odor. His coat is beautiful. Kind of like the difference between a feral cat and a house cat.
Anyway, I never would have considered having one. He just needed a friend, and I'm a sucker. But it turned out really well and I'm glad he is here. When people come over their first reaction to him is yuck! It doesn't take long for him to impress people and they end up holding him.
I would post pics, but still haven't figured that out...duh.

Quote:

smile.png

Thanks!

I like all animals from mice and rats and up. But I've always considered oppossums a bit on the ...homely side(still like them though). But the pics in this thread made me see them in a new light! When well fed and cared for and pleasantly plump they look adorable!

From what I have been told possum's can only carry rabies if they are running a fever (their body temp is to low) to carry rabies. Hope it's doing well. I took in a baby raccoon and he is doing great. I still have to remember he is a wild animal though. Even though I have chickens I still can't let a little critter die if I can help. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom