Orphington 5 years old, enlarged crop, watery stools, lethargic, not eating.

Abbychickenmama

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2022
My 5 year old Orphington has been displaying lethargy, distant behavior from her flock, not eating and having brownish/yellow watery diarrhea (that smells particularly foul) for about 5 days now. She is drinking a lot of water in quarantine in the basement but will not eat.
Her crop is full and soft.
Belly (between the legs) is a little enlarged.
She is laying down mostly.
Her tail is slightly dropped but no pumping.
Her comb is pale.
There are no visible injuries and she is not puffed out, her breathing sounds normal. No cough or blockages.
I am hoping to narrow down any possible disease so that I may better treat her from home. Any helpful treatments are welcomed. I’ve added a picture of her stool if that is helpful.
Thank you!

Attachments

• D1857B69-710D-4C42-8923-4DF31284E002.jpeg
    D1857B69-710D-4C42-8923-4DF31284E002.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
What is your location, please?

Your hen likely has a reproductive infection, and an antibiotic might help her. I say, "might" because reproductive infections are no easy to treat.

If you have any antibiotics on had, they might be used. Look around and let us know.

If you don't have any, you might be able to order online.

My 5 year old Orphington has been displaying lethargy, distant behavior from her flock, not eating and having brownish/yellow watery diarrhea (that smells particularly foul) for about 5 days now. She is drinking a lot of water in quarantine in the basement but will not eat.
She is laying down mostly.
Her tail is slightly dropped but no pumping.
Her comb is pale.
There are no visible injuries and she is not puffed out, her breathing sounds normal. No cough or blockages.
I am hoping to narrow down any possible disease so that I may better treat her from home. Any helpful treatments are welcomed. I’ve added a picture of her stool if that is helpful.
Thank you!
A vet would check the chicken’s throat, intestines, crop, vent, and oviduct.
Check the ones you can. Are it's feet cold? Is the comb or wattle pale? It should be offered a soupy feed with vitamin or electrolyte water added to it also. I'm researching also to try to help.

What does her crop feel like—empty or full, firm or soft/puffy? Offer water up to her beak and try to get her taking some watery chicken feed and cooked egg. Has she laid eggs recently? Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged?

What is your location, please?

Your hen likely has a reproductive infection, and an antibiotic might help her. I say, "might" because reproductive infections are no easy to treat.

If you have any antibiotics on had, they might be used. Look around and let us know.

If you don't have any, you might be able to order online.
Thank you!
Location is Maine, USA
I have Bactrim and doxycycline on hand- but these were prescribed to me. I do not have poultry graded antibiotics. Could either of these possibly help?

A vet would check the chicken’s throat, intestines, crop, vent, and oviduct.
Check the ones you can. Are it's feet cold? Is the comb or wattle pale? It should be offered a soupy feed with vitamin or electrolyte water added to it also. I'm researching also to try to help.
Her feet are warm, comb is pale. The vent is hard to examine because there is a lot of poop stuck to her behind which I am trying gently to wash away.

What does her crop feel like—empty or full, firm or soft/puffy? Offer water up to her beak and try to get her taking some watery chicken feed and cooked egg. Has she laid eggs recently? Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged?
Hey crop is full, soft but enlarged. She is drinking a lot of water. She hasn’t laid in at least two months.. her lower belly is a bit enlarged.

I would suspect that she may have a reproductive disorder or infection, and probably ascites (water belly) from that or another issue. Common in older hens. You can give 30 mg of a bactrim twice a day 12 hours apart for a few days. That also treats coccidiosis and other infections. Make sure that she drinks plenty of fluids. I would offer some probiotics or plain yogurt during and after antibiotics.
Edited to say that the dosage I recommend is 30 mg instead of 1/2 tablet.

Last edited:
I would suspect that she may have a reproductive disorder or infection, and probably ascites (water belly) from that or another issue. Common in older hens. You can give 1/2 of a bactrim twice a day 12 hours apart for a few days. That also treats coccidiosis and other infections. Make sure that she drinks plenty of fluids. I would offer some probiotics or plain yogurt during and after antibiotics.
This is very helpful. I have Bactrim
800-160m tablets. Is this a safe dosage to administer half a tablet at once? And should I crush and add to a solution?

Back
Top Bottom